Sign in to follow this  

Motocross '10 Outdoors, which west coast race?

Just looking through the 2010 outdoors schedule and looking for opinions, if you were to visit the states and catch a MX event on the west coast, which would be the one to check out?

What is the track like at Washougal? Looks good in race highlights video...

West coast; it would be difficult for me not to pick Glen Helen for pure gnarliness. Plus; not sure if the season kicks off there next year or not but the season opener gives a better chance of seeing all the guys.

I do the Washougal Nat every year due to it being near my home. It is probably one of the sweetest tracks Ive been to as far as the location. Lots of trees, not much dust, cool people. Having also been to other nationals at GH and Hangtown I can say the only drawback of Shugs is that there isnt much by way of the big jumps that other tracks seem to have. The track is mostly all natural. There is horsepower hill which is alot more gnarly than TV shows and the ski jump is cool as well but other than that there isnt a whole lot of jumps. The track is fast and has lots elevation changes and is usually slick although the last few years they have been working on the dirt. One advantage for you out of towners is the track is only about 15 miles from the airport (KPDX). Another cool thing that Shugs has going for it is it is usually like round 8 I believe and the points race's are well established in both classes leading to epic battles (see RC/Bubba in 06, Absolutely the best race Ive ever seen). Usually it is a WMX round as well. Cool track, not much for jumps but it makes up for it in other ways.

i will be at Washougal, only because it's close and a killer track. i have only been to east coast nats int he past. budds, unadilla, possibly saw one when i was a kid at broome tioga.

i have also raced on those three tracks. pretty fun.

Washougal is very cool because you can pretty much walk to any part of the track and stand 2 feet away from the racing. I've been going there for years. The setting of the track is awesome, very scenic. The only drawback of the track is that there aren't any huge jumps like most of the other tracks have.

Cheers blokes for your replies... Washougal appealed because of the time of the year and the location (NW), i realise there are many great tracks, just was hoping that this was one of them...

How early on do you need to secure tix for nationals, or is it the nature of the outdoors events that you can generally always get a ticket.

2010 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship Schedule:

May 22 - Hangtown Motocross Classic - Rancho Cordova, Calif.

May 29 - Glen Helen Raceway - San Bernardino, Calif.

June 5 - Freestone Raceway - Wortham, Texas

June 12 - High Point Raceway - Mt. Morris, Pa.

June 19 - Budds Creek Motocross - Mechanicsville, Md.

June 26 - Thunder Valley Motocross - Lakewood, Colo.

July 3 - RedBud - Buchanan, Mich.

July 17 - Spring Creek Motocross - Millville, Minn.

July 24 - Washougal Motocross - Washougal, Wash.

Aug 14 - Unadilla Valley Sports Center - New Berlin, N.Y.

Aug 28 - Moto-X 338 - Southwick, Mass.

Sept 4 - Steel City Raceway - Delmont, Pa.