Sign in to follow this  

Maybe BMW is onto something after all?

When BMW purchased Husqvarna a couple of years ago... many were scratching their heads asking why a company like BMW would want an off-road brand?

Little did they know BMW was in the process of a transition and part of that was exciting new products like the BMW S1000RR which now looks to be the NEW KING of SUPERBIKE!

Check out these horsepower specks from Motorcycledaily.com:

http://motorcycledaily.com/16december09_bmw_s1000r_dyno.htm

BMW S1000RR on the Dyno: Off the Charts!

Somebody stop the madness! On second thought, don't.

Used to be 180 hp at the back wheel was the result of tens of thousands of dollars of soup-up work: a turbo or nitrous, or just getting your hands on a megabucks works racebike. Them days are over: Motorcycle News, the weekly U.K. publication, just strapped a BMW S1000RR superbike to its dyno, revealing 183 hp at the rear tire. If you think this was a fluke, another dyno run by exhaust manufacturer Akrapovic (say "Ahh-Crop-Oh-Vitch") showed 185.5 hp!

BMW claims 193 hp (presumably at the crank) from the S, which means the Bavarians are sandbagging a little: 185 at the wheel would be over 200 hp at the crankshaft, given the 10-15 percent parasitic power loss between the crank and rear wheel. Did they do that to keep a low profile from the authorities, whose collective ears may prick up when a mass-produced streetbike makes over 200 hp? Are the early production models blueprinted cheater bikes to impress the press? We won't know 'till we get our own bike to test, but two independent dyno runs are hard to argue with.

If you are not impressed by the BMW's numbers, take a look at this peak horsepower chart of bikes dyno'd by Akrapovic:

Akrapovic Stock Dyno Results (2009 or 2010 models)

BMW S1000RR 185.5 @ 13,120

Apria RSV4 165 @ 12,400

Ducati 1198S 157.4 @ 9,800

Honda CBR1000RR 170.6 @ 12,290

Yamaha YZF-R1 161.6 @ 12,430

Kawasaki ZX-10R 163.1 @ 12,150

Suzuki GSX-R 1000 168.1 @ 11,900

Kawasaki ZX-14 174 @ 9,400

Suzuki Hayabusa 179.5 @ 9,300

what does their superbike have to do with husky? Don't get me wrong, I love thinking that I will own one of those someday, but I don't see the connection to dirtbikes aside from BMW buying Husky.

what does their superbike have to do with husky? Don't get me wrong, I love thinking that I will own one of those someday, but I don't see the connection to dirtbikes aside from BMW buying Husky.

Point is BMW is moving in a different direction from where they were 10 years ago.

BMW and Husqvarna engineering share everything, same computer database, same engineering applications, same parts manufactures, procurement and production line processes

Technology from the Superbike program is going to trickle down to other products such as the Husqvarna line of motorcycles.

In the end the end user.... mainly the Husqvarna community is going to benefit! :moon:

It translates into commitment to be the best, fastest, whatever....

Husky can benefit from it in the long run. To me, it's great news to read. It keeps me focused on Husqvarna's progress unlike the old days. It's exciting to see Husky moving forward in the right direction with the help from BMW.

a husky with ABS and DTC ?

I dont care either way ... i'll take an m3 in my drive way next to that s1000rr and a couple huskies in the garage ..... i'd be happy with that ...

stick the ol lady with an x5 or whatever the suv is ... and we're golden.

P.s. anyone know of a husky mailing list for news and updates?

I can't seem to find one ..

When's BMW coming out with a good chainsaw.?

I don't care who you are, THAT was funny....:moon:

When's BMW coming out with a good chainsaw.?

They'll never come out with a usable chainsaw - all them leg guards and airbags will get right in the way.

Point is BMW is moving in a different direction from where they were 10 years ago.

BMW and Husqvarna engineering share everything, same computer database, same engineering applications, same parts manufactures, procurement and production line processes

Technology from the Superbike program is going to trickle down to other products such as the Husqvarna line of motorcycles.

In the end the end user.... mainly the Husqvarna community is going to benefit! :moon:

Sounds good and you must be sitting in on their meetings? What DB does a German company use when allowing its little brother from Italy access?

The Marks can't hurt either... :cheers:

PS -- Someone might need to do a merge as the cool Husqvarna gear is not on these shores as far as I can tell. ;(

When BMW purchased Husqvarna a couple of years ago... many were scratching their heads asking why a company like BMW would want an off-road brand?

Little did they know BMW was in the process of a transition and part of that was exciting new products like the BMW S1000RR which now looks to be the NEW KING of SUPERBIKE!

Check out these horsepower specks from Motorcycledaily.com:

http://motorcycledaily.com/16december09_bmw_s1000r_dyno.htm

BMW S1000RR on the Dyno: Off the Charts!

Somebody stop the madness! On second thought, don't.

Used to be 180 hp at the back wheel was the result of tens of thousands of dollars of soup-up work: a turbo or nitrous, or just getting your hands on a megabucks works racebike. Them days are over: Motorcycle News, the weekly U.K. publication, just strapped a BMW S1000RR superbike to its dyno, revealing 183 hp at the rear tire. If you think this was a fluke, another dyno run by exhaust manufacturer Akrapovic (say "Ahh-Crop-Oh-Vitch") showed 185.5 hp!

BMW claims 193 hp (presumably at the crank) from the S, which means the Bavarians are sandbagging a little: 185 at the wheel would be over 200 hp at the crankshaft, given the 10-15 percent parasitic power loss between the crank and rear wheel. Did they do that to keep a low profile from the authorities, whose collective ears may prick up when a mass-produced streetbike makes over 200 hp? Are the early production models blueprinted cheater bikes to impress the press? We won't know 'till we get our own bike to test, but two independent dyno runs are hard to argue with.

If you are not impressed by the BMW's numbers, take a look at this peak horsepower chart of bikes dyno'd by Akrapovic:

Akrapovic Stock Dyno Results (2009 or 2010 models)

BMW S1000RR 185.5 @ 13,120

Apria RSV4 165 @ 12,400

Ducati 1198S 157.4 @ 9,800

Honda CBR1000RR 170.6 @ 12,290

Yamaha YZF-R1 161.6 @ 12,430

Kawasaki ZX-10R 163.1 @ 12,150

Suzuki GSX-R 1000 168.1 @ 11,900

Kawasaki ZX-14 174 @ 9,400

Suzuki Hayabusa 179.5 @ 9,300

one thing they don't tell you on the dyno runs is that the bike actually generates an additional 7hp at sppeds over 120mph due to the ram air....

one more thing about dynos, they are irrelevant unless each one is run on the same dyno at the same ambient temperature and sea level, otherwise the results are too skewed...

They'll never come out with a usable chainsaw - all them leg guards and airbags will get right in the way.

the final drives will also fail when you're out in the middle of the woods doing some clear cutting!!!:moon:

the final drives will also fail when you're out in the middle of the woods doing some clear cutting!!!

The last time I priced a Beemer and started to negotiate the price I was told "This is a quality bike for a quality person who is a quality rider and has quality dollars".

So I missed out on the HP2 Sport I thought would be a great ride. I guess I didn't fit any of the above because I still have a CBR for a street bike. Maybe Ural will build a sportbike I can afford.