Sign in to follow this  

Boring a Athena Cylinder?

I thought I read a post awhile back where Eddie said you could bore the Athena cylinder out and still have plenty of material left for the waterjackets. Is it possible to do and still be reliable? 95.5mm or 96mm. If possible where would I get the piston from, and who should I have do the cylinder work for me. I will be sending the motor to Eddie for the 4mm stroker crank. Thanks for the help.

Thanks gentlemen. Why only the ICE Cube? Will the athena be ok bored to 95.5? I already have the athena, and would bore it if its going to still be reliable. Don't think I am going to buy a new cylinder though. Any idea on gains vs the 94mm? Thanks

head gasket issues

Im not using my stock cylinder, boring out my athena cylinder.

Thanks gentlemen. Why only the ICE Cube? Will the athena be ok bored to 95.5? I already have the athena, and would bore it if its going to still be reliable. Don't think I am going to buy a new cylinder though. Any idea on gains vs the 94mm? Thanks

the ice cube cylinder was designed to have bore that big to begin with.

we have been sucessfully using a 95.5 athena based cylinder with no issues.

there is a motor out there with a 97mm bore piston it but i would not do it.at that point you are right back to being to close to the water jackets.

95.5 vs 94mm is worht a 1-1.5 hp.

the ice cube cylinder was designed to have bore that big to begin with.

we have been sucessfully using a 95.5 athena based cylinder with no issues.

there is a motor out there with a 97mm bore piston it but i would not do it.at that point you are right back to being to close to the water jackets.

95.5 vs 94mm is worht a 1-1.5 hp.

Makes sense. Thanks for the response Eddie, im going to have to think about that. $450.00 give or take for 1 -1.5 hp, pretty steep. Think its worth it Eddie?

as a repair,yes.taking a good cylinder and making 95.5 vs 94mm probably.

Did you mean probably not?

Good to read that.

In a another post eddie, you've told me, overbore to 95.5 an athena cylinder gonna be reliable, i believe you, no doubt.

But i've a last question, the risk of head gasket failure is increased or it's just like a stock 94 athena ?

for what is worth i use a Athena jug ,bored it to 95.5 last winter ,Ron was impressed with how much wall was left.

now if i can jest get a 187 cam to top this build off ,i'd be in heaven.

on a side note i wish i had ground off the Athena logo ,i like the sleeper look.

i got caught once and the gig was up.

I said ''now if i can just get a #187 cam to top this build off ,I'd be in heaven''