Sign in to follow this  

Stock Electrical system

Can someone give me the ouput of the stock electrical system. I was wanting to know if it could drive a 5 amp on board computer? Hoping to find out for the 02-09 engines. Thanks.

5 AMP onboard computer? That's a LOT LOT LOT....60 watts, like a laptop. Are you sure you don't mean 5 milliamp?

Good heaven's...calculating prime numbers while you ride?

The stock stator does not have 60 watts to spare. You will have to upgrade your stator or take a look at the Trail Tech computers. They run on batteries or bike power (ac or dc)

WOW! 5 Amps is a huge amount (in the context of a standard MX bike stator configuration).

What voltage is the proposed device operating at? At 12V you'll be drawing 60 watts.

Good thing we're talking 2 strokes. I don't think a 250F even makes that much power :cheers:

Keep in mind that MX bikes only utilize a winding for generating sufficient power to drive an 'ignition' system. Enduro bikes, like a WR, have an ignition winding in addition to a power winding, which drives things like headlights, battery charging circuit. The headlights are normally driven via an AC (regulated) source. The charging circuit is driven via a regulated / rectified source (DC).

Overall, the system's output is very lean and will not easily support ancillary devices. You'll definately have to look at stator mods.

What was the intended purpose fo the on-board computer... you've got me curious :moon:

Berg