Sign in to follow this  

changing fork springs

2003 xr 400, just take the fork caps off, remove old springs, drop new in?

Not quite that simple if you want to make sure you retain the rebound clicker adjustments. Here's a few threads that discuss this.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243262&highlight=fork+clicker+adjustment

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90497&highlight=fork+clicker+adjustment

And the new springs may not be the same length as the old springs, which means you'll also need to cut new spacers, PVC works well. If you do,

With the forks extended, spring in, measure from the spring end to the top edge of the fork tube. Subtract the distance the fork cap screws into the fork tube from that figure. Then add 15-25mm to that figure. This is the amount of preload you want. Then cut new spacers from PCV to the new length.

2003 xr 400, just take the fork caps off, remove old springs, drop new in?
Edited by Trailryder42

thanks for the tips I'll give it a shot

Edited by surfdog

I changed out the fork springs today using the tips you guys provided. Now the rebound adjusters on each fork have about 22 clicks of adjustment, I don't know what it had before or what the standard amount is .

Am I good to go or did I dosomething wrong?

The rebound adjusters are the ones in the fork cap. Stock, those should have 12 clicks.

If you want to correct it, back the adjusters all the way out. Then unscrew the fork cap from the fork tube.

Then loosen the jamnut that tightens the fork cap to the rod end.

Unscrew the fork cap off the rod end a little, don't have to remove it.

Then turn the rebound adjusters in the fork cap in 12 clicks from full out.

Then screw the fork cap onto the rod end, paying close attention to when you feel the needle in the rebound adjuster start to seat in the rod end. DO NOT seat it hard or you'll damage the needle. At that point, screw the jam nut up to meet the fork cap and finger tighten the jam nut to the fork cap. Try not to turn the fork cap on the rod end while you do this. You might even back out the adjuster a few clicks before you put wrenches to the two.

Then screw the cap back into the fork tube. Check your total number of clicks from full out to full in.