Sign in to follow this  

Tired of pushing

I am getting a IMS 3.0 gallon tank. I ordered black but it is not available just now. Does the neutral tank offer enough see-through to get a visual of the fuel remaining. I can't trust the low fuel light on a 2008 TE450.

Thanks

Bruce

I am getting a IMS 3.0 gallon tank

Sorry about the poor grama. "I am getting an IMS"

Yes, see through is very easy and a good reason for buying the white/clear tank. Also, it will cause less problems with expansion.

Thanks for the information.

And you are right PALMER84ONE it does look like crap but I feel like crap after pushing that sucker. It get 35-38 mpg and only has about 1.5 usable gallons in the original tank.

One of the locals was carrying extra gas with a rear rack and the flat gas can you may have seen advertised. It broke the rear sub frame that does not support a lot of extra weight.

bimota,

who did you order it through? If you are not committed look around and see if a shop has one to ship.

It get 35-38 mpg and only has about 1.5 usable gallons in the original tank.

I can virtually guarantee that you are suffering from the "slipping fuel pump" problem. Your symptoms are classic, including not being able to trust the low fuel light. Do a search for this and you'll find an easy fix.

Here's one of many threads, but it's not one with pictures.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-826755.html

Here are some more threads on the subject.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845522&highlight=fuel+pump+safety+wire

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=848950&highlight=fuel+pump+safety+wire

Edited by jlk_250
add more links

I am getting a IMS 3.0 gallon tank. I ordered black but it is not available just now. Does the neutral tank offer enough see-through to get a visual of the fuel remaining. I can't trust the low fuel light on a 2008 TE450.

Thanks

Bruce

I think you have made a good choice. Quite a few people have been happy with the IMS and while it is ugly, I think once you ride and can get a 60+ mile loop in without having to push, you won't be so concerned about looks.

Greg

Recently bought a new to me 2006 Husky WR250 and it came with extra tank a 3.4 Gallon IMS Tank.. As the other

posters said "it looks like crap and ugly" (mine is beige in color not white).. But you can see how much fuel is in there..

Even if the tank is full of special foam cubes (done by previous owner to help control sloshing because tank is so big)..

Personally I would prefer a black tank (just like the stock oem factory gas tank).. But the problem with a black tank

is now you cannot see how much gas is left in there.. What a dilemma we have eh.. :moon:

HuskyWR250Pic5.jpg

Thanks for the responses and I do have my tank, it was received Dec 28. I have not installed it yet.

I am a little late responding but I did want to respond to the slipped fuel pump problem. The pump has been checked twice, once by me and by my dealer that dialed the EFI system in. It has a power up kit and had never been check for the proper mixture after installing the kit.

The pump is in place. My fuel economy is not good but it performs really good.

I am 5'7" and cut the seat and installed a Kouba lowering link, about a 1.5 inch and the front forks are pushed up 2 rings.

I am told by the dealer that the changes I made to ride height has created a bias or attitude that is preventing the fuel from flowering to the rear and lowest point in the tank.

If that is the case I will correct with installing my new tank and adjusting the suspension.

I intend to put 16oz in the tank and have it run to prove I am now using all the available fuel.

This is so much BS to most of you but I thought I would share my thoughts and those of the dealer's technicians.

Is my fuel mileage about average? One local fellow told me he gets about 80 miles from his 08 TE450's 1.9 gallon tank.

Ok sir, let me chime in again on my bike.

08 TE450 w/PU kit installed and tuned FI by Up-tite.

Kouba link 1" "claimed lowering" installed. Actual 3/4 inch unsprung.

Forks up to the third ring. 3/4 difference from top triple flush.

This means the front and rear are lower "level" from stock.

IMS Tank "claimed 3gl". (I never really checked).

My tank will except 2.6, or 7 gallons when the fuel light comes on.

I have around 73 to 85 miles on the odometer.

What this means to me is that to be on the safe side, carry an extra one or two 33 oz MSR bottles (1/2 gallon) when I go on an over 75 mile round trip voyage.

Does that make sense? :moon:

Dealer or technicians telling you, you changed the characteristics of the bike sounds like BS to me. A bike is always bouncing or sloshing forward or aft. Were did they come up with that, the Obama administration? :cheers: They are going to change the Law of Physics right.

My tank will except 2.6, or 7 gallons when the fuel light comes on.

Therefore you mileage is about the same as mine. Nothing like the local that claims 85 miles on 1.9 gallons.

I can verify the usage of all the fuel when I install the IMS tank and will do that. I am 73 years old next month and real anal about pushing my bike.

Therefore you mileage is about the same as mine. Nothing like the local that claims 85 miles on 1.9 gallons.

I can verify the usage of all the fuel when I install the IMS tank and will do that. I am 73 years old next month and real anal about pushing my bike.

I hope to still be enjoying my bike, life and wife at that age. :cheers:

Local numb nut with that milage is still choked up, W/O PU kit installed.

Hell, we were pulling that on the street with our bikes choked to death too, and not very hard on the throttle. But what fun is that? :moon: to his logic!