Sign in to follow this  

rm 250 rear shock

Hi guys, i just bought a 2004 rm250 and have not had a mx bike since my younger days but ready to get back in i did not get a manual with the bike i am not sure if i can download one on line but i feel something is wrong with the rear shock it sags down easy and then feels like it bottoms out like it hits something,and it doesnot rebound wright, i tried turning the top and bottom screws on the shock but doesnot make much diff, i am thinking it needs rebuilt any help would be great,thanks..

Hi guys, i just bought a 2004 rm250 and have not had a mx bike since my younger days but ready to get back in i did not get a manual with the bike i am not sure if i can download one on line but i feel something is wrong with the rear shock it sags down easy and then feels like it bottoms out like it hits something,and it doesnot rebound wright, i tried turning the top and bottom screws on the shock but doesnot make much diff, i am thinking it needs rebuilt any help would be great,thanks..

do you have the k4 or k5 rear shock

here is the k4 http://www.midwestactioncycle.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=88282&category=Motorcycles&make=SUZUKI&year=2001&fveh=2002

and here is the k5 http://www.midwestactioncycle.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=88283&category=Motorcycles&make=SUZUKI&year=2001&fveh=2002

and here is every thing else http://www.midwestactioncycle.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=SUZUKI&year=2002&fveh=2002

you will fall in love with that bike. you be real easy getting back on that bike. i have been riding RM'S for 34 years. and my 250 still shows me whos the boss every now n then. do yourself a favor first. dont ride with out gear. elbo n knee pads chest protector n BOOTS n HELMET. i no you no this already. just dont want to see anyone get hurt. hope these links help. the rear shock ie real easy to rebuild yourself. then take it to the shop to get it recharged. my book says i can use air in it. not sure what the psi on it is but you can call your local bike shop to find out.

Thanks alot for the info,how do i tell which shock it is,i just bought a 87 yz490 to get back into riding and that bike showed me who was boss quickly so i am selling that one, and looking forward to riding the rm this sat,i just dont have time to rebuild the shock before this sat,so i will try to do any ajustments i can,i will checkout those sites also thanks again for any help..

Usually when the shock is blown it goes down extremely easy and rebounds way to fast.

It does not go down to easy but it just stops like its bottomed out then there is not much rebound when you get off.

My usual method to check a shock out is to remove it from the bike, take the spring off it, then compress it all the way in by hand, and then let go. If it is ok it should then swiftly extend back to full length under it's own pressure.

As for rebuilding, personally I'd get a shop to do it.

cheers

Hey does anyone know on the rear shock what is a good starting point on the clicks on the screws and which screw adjusts what from top to bottom, is one dampening and one rebound i do not have the manual yet..

It does not go down to easy but it just stops like its bottomed out then there is not much rebound when you get off.
but dose it go all the way down. if not try this unloosen top an bottum clickers all the way. and them see if it gose down all the way. if not take a fuew small jumps land on the back wheel. with clickers all the way out my just be stoped up. this may free it up. if not you will have to take it apart. to service it.

Can I butt in and ask if I should replace the O-ring set on the shock when I pull it apart to replace the oil (if these are what keeps the oil in)?

Bike's four years old now so suspect could well do with new fluid.

ok thanks i am going to ride this sat and see what happens,i will let you know thanks for the info,,

cwrench7...just like MIKE ANIMAL said, it's one of the best bikes You will ever ride....but....if You ride it with a screwed-up rear shock,that could be dangerous,so be careful....let's us know on Your progress.....Dr.D....

the rebound settings on the bottom. turning it clockwise will make the shock rebound faster, and counter clockwise will slow the rebound down. the blue nut on the top is your hi speed compression, which is quick abrubt hits(where you think your bottoming i suspect). turnign that clockwise will stiffen it up and vice versa. the inner flat head inside the blue nut is the low speed compression. turning that clockwise will stiffen it up(more for rolling bumps). a good place to start would be around 11 or 12 clicks out from full HARD on both the rebound and compression. also, try and set your sag. that could be a big part as well. should be around 3 to 4 inches of sag when you sit ont he bike. factory connection has a good writke up on how to set your sag on their site. if you cant get it set properly you might need a stiffer spring.