Sign in to follow this  

Removal of Femur Rod

I was in a car accident in 2002 shattered my femur and have had a rod in there since than. I am looking to joining the military but have been told that the only way is to have the rod removed. How difficult is this and is it really worth it in the long run? And what about the recovery time?

I had mine removed three months after it was installed. Although I had full range and could walk/run/ride, it was painful. The screws were too long and were rubbing against my tisssue/ligaments. They laid me on my back and put my leg in a stirrup and did a nerve block. Opened up the same inscissions, removed the screws, shoved the knee cap off to one side and snatched the rod out. My reason for having it removed was the fear of an impact to my leg with the rod in place. With the right conditions it could make a mess of your knee or hip. Or if the rod was to get bent while inside your femur it could also be messy. As part of the deal I got to keep the hardware. I want to use the rod on my bike, but haven't found a place for it yet. :moon:

As far as long term, the pain from the screws was gone immediately and no problems at all. As far as recovery time, it was just a matter of the inscissions healing up.