Sign in to follow this  

Haven't had much luck in the general section...

I posted this in the General Section the other day but for some reason have not gotten a single response, so I have turned to our very reliable Yami 2t forum :moon:

I saw that MSR sells a brand of rims called Volant. I've never heard of them but they seem to look really nice. A set of black rims, blue nipples and black spokes and wheel bearings from them cost only about $550.

Has anybody ever heard anything about these rims? Are they any good? Worth the buy for a nice xmas addition to my bike?

Here is the link to my other post:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857998

Nope haven't heard of them what series of aluminum are the made from? 6000? 7000? could be chinese or tiawanese made, to soft of rim material could cause problems spokes could losen often potential issue with grinding off spokes on the inside of the rim.

How do you like your tacos? This is one area on my bike I wouldn't skimp on.

Taken straight from their catalog:

-6061 T6 precision machined billet aluminum hub

- satin black finish, proprietary 7000 series aircraft grade aluminum rims for superior strength.

- equal length spokes are swaged for strength and durability.

- 7075 T6 aluminum color anodized nipples are stronger than oem and more resistant to rounding off.

- Wheel spacers have a unique captive o-ring design eliminating conventional high drag seal allowing for a "zero" drag rolling resistance.

- chemically applied graphics are scratch resistant, cant peel and will provide a long lasting appeal.

- all models use oem sproket and rotor locations

- made in the USA

Lots of these wheels use components from China or Taiwan that are then assembled in the USA. I would double check to see if this is true.

I paid slightly over 100 for a spare yz front, and 175 for a rear, never used, with rotor, sprocket, and new 756 tire. This was off a 2008 yfz 450.

I dotn think the Chinese make bad wheels, but often times they overbuild to compensate for lousy metal. This can make for a VERY heavy set of wheels....often times 5-6 lbs heavier for the set. You can notice wheel weight.

Ok I'll look into that.

My original plan was to go with the Excel A60's but I can't for the life of me find anyone that makes black spokes and blue nipples for them! :moon:

For the spokes and nipples contact RAD Manufacturing. They build wheels and do in house anodizing. They will build wheels to order so you can specify what rim, spoke, and nipple color you want. I have used them in the past and they have good prices.

For the spokes and nipples contact RAD Manufacturing. They build wheels and do in house anodizing. They will build wheels to order so you can specify what rim, spoke, and nipple color you want. I have used them in the past and they have good prices.

do they ship the parts separately? because I plan on putting the wheels together myself since I have a local place that is going to powdercoat my hubs.

Black rims are great....until that first nick from a tire iron or a rock....or the edges wear off. Silver rims rule. Get some cool anodized hubs.

do they ship the parts separately? because I plan on putting the wheels together myself since I have a local place that is going to powdercoat my hubs.

They will sell separately. I stopped in their shop one day while "working"...yea, thats it. VERY nice people to deal with. It was hard to get out of their shop without buying anything.

DNA wheels rock! :cheers: I have a set on my bike and I've finished several cross country races with them and they still look great. I bought a set with blue anodised hubs and black rims on E-Bay for about $525. :moon:

Almost all the aftermarket wheel sets are a bit heavier than OEM, especially the Honda OEM rear wheel, due to less spokes. It's hard to believe folks actually WANT to remove the OE wheels...

One also should not throw Taiwan and China into the same "bucket". Chinese factories are geared for Mass volume (apparel, bicycle parts, etc) while the Taiwanese factories are much better at hard parts in terms of quality control and dependability.