Sign in to follow this  

2004 Frame swap to 06-08 - HELP

I have a coworker with a 2004 CRF250, he wants $1,000 and it runs well, but he does not have a title and will be selling it with a "bill of sale". My question is if I pick up a titled frame from eBay, will it all bolt to the 06-08 FRAME only, or should I just try to find a clean 04-05 frame. Thanks, I think this would be a sweet bike for the $1000 plus $200-300 or so for the frame. Let me know, thanks guys

Edited by alstar250

Engine will bolt up. Everything else should also. You'll have to use the 04 sub frame becasuse of the mounting of the exhaust. Everything should bolt right up.

Engine will bolt up. Everything else should also. You'll have to use the 04 sub frame becasuse of the mounting of the exhaust. Everything should bolt right up.

Hey Charlie thanks, yeah I'll have to use the 04 subframe cuz thats the only subframe I have..lol Like I said I just wanted to buy the frame so I could title it. Thanks again guys!

yep...it will all bolt up.

Buddy just did that exact thing. 04 bike that had no title...got a 06 frame and everything bolted right over. you need the 04 subframe if you want to use the single exhaust

yea everything will work.. technically illegal cuz the engine serial number corresponds with vin but no one will ever notice in future sales.. its really easy to get a new pink if he's actually the owner. so if he's not willing to it could be stolen. in that case buy it and check the vin with the dmv just in case. maybe you'll help someone out and get their bike back to them and you'll get your money back in the process as well.

yea everything will work.. technically illegal cuz the engine serial number corresponds with vin but no one will ever notice in future sales.. its really easy to get a new pink if he's actually the owner. so if he's not willing to it could be stolen. in that case buy it and check the vin with the dmv just in case. maybe you'll help someone out and get their bike back to them and you'll get your money back in the process as well.

Actually if your the owner of both the bike (frame and parts) and the motor then its perfectly legal, nothing mandates the numbers have to match what so ever. If you buy a YZ-F frame as a replacement from the dealer then you get a frame with no VIN. YOU need to keep the paper trail legitimized (old frame and receipt for the new one plus any receipts for the swap work) for any future referencing, but thats how it goes.

I haven't bought the bike yet, the original owner was a buddy stationed out here with us in Vegas (Nellis AFB) sold it to my co-worker and then got PCS'd to Piza Italy for 4 years, and has been back and forth to Iraq twice and then Afghanistan. Can I get the title? Yeah probably with a lot of work, that's why I'd rather spend the cash on the titled frame and call it a day. I know 100% this bike is not stolen.

Edited by alstar250