Sign in to follow this  

2007 honda cr250

I am interested in a 2007 honda cr250 ,,would like to know some of the pros and cons about the bike,,don't hold back,nothing but the striaght talk

thanks

What is your intended use?

The chassis is pretty darn good as is for most uses. The best starting advise for the motor is to buy a Keihin PWK carb, and get the head squish and volume adjusted.

why the PWK carb?

The Mikuni carb that is on the bike has been notorious for all kinds of jetting issues. The Keihin aleviates these problems and really wakes the bike up.

the 2007 cr250 is an awesome bike. it has tons of power and handles very well. alot of people switch to the pwk carb but it isn't absolutely necessary. i've got the stock carb which works great as long as its jetted properly.

alot of people complain about it being a weak motor but it definately is not. it just has a much smoother hit than alot of other 2t's (which some people think means it is weak) but that is not the case doesn't.

I absolutely love my 2005 cr250, it is my favorite bike i have ever ridden. 2005 to 2007 cr250's are exactly the same, the only change was the graphics.

i am wanting to set it up for motocross

For MX you can probably get away with the stock carb. A JD jetting kit will make jetting pretty simple without a lot of trial and error.

The stock Mikuni is very sensitive to altitude and temperature changes, and thus makes life more difficult for us offroaders doing 2-3hr. rides. Setting the squish will also help to stabilize the jetting sensitivity, and setting the volume will help to alleviate pinging on pump gas.

Lots of information on here and on the internet on Squish, use the search feature. :moon:

had a 2005 cr250 which is about the same bike as your 07 and to this day it maybe my all time favorite bike...suspension was great stock...here is what i done and it came alive...boyesen rad valve...fmf fatty with 304 silencer...twin air filter...j d jetting kit...and it turned into a really sweet bike:thumbsup:

One of the best handling bikes I have ever rode. I loved my 05 which is exactly the same as the 07. The motor is strong, very under rated in my opinion, and the bike handles like a dream. My only mods were a Pro-Circuit pipe, v-force reeds, and I jetted the bike. This all made noticeable improvements over stock.

I have a 05 and as others have said, one of the best handlers I have owned, and with minimal suspension setup. I love the ergo's of it.

A little weak at the bottom end when in direct comparison to other brands, but still a excellent running bike.

Personally, I get extremely tired of people constantly bashing on the newer CR's. IMO, they run like a 2t is supposed to. They are supposed to have brute power. It's not my fault that 4t's have turned everybody into a bunch a pansies.

I have an '06, and while it was a little frustrating to get it dialed in, it is hands down the favorite bike I've ever owned. IMO, there is no bike that compares to the handling, ergo's, and fit and finish of a Honda.

I'vee heard many other people here say it before, and I'll say it again, it is amazing how many people I've let ride my bike that are just blown away by it. The usual response is "Holy crap, that bike rips. I've always heard they were slow".

Personally, I get extremely tired of people constantly bashing on the newer CR's. IMO, they run like a 2t is supposed to. They are supposed to have brute power. It's not my fault that 4t's have turned everybody into a bunch a pansies.

I have an '06, and while it was a little frustrating to get it dialed in, it is hands down the favorite bike I've ever owned. IMO, there is no bike that compares to the handling, ergo's, and fit and finish of a Honda.

I'vee heard many other people here say it before, and I'll say it again, it is amazing how many people I've let ride my bike that are just blown away by it. The usual response is "Holy crap, that bike rips. I've always heard they were slow".

Another thing that gets extremely annoying is when you hear someone talking about how they plan to get a 2 stroke, but is there any way they can make it run like a 250f.

I think people have forgotten what the difference is between a 2t and a 4t besides the way it sounds. And regardless if the bike was actually "slow" or not, I am sure most of us don't have the ability to notice any short comings the bike may have. Just make sure you got it jetted and you can't go wrong.

Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. If it is the bike you really want, then get it and don't look back, you don't really need anyone but yourself to give you the okay.

• Like 1

Another thing that gets extremely annoying is when you hear someone talking about how they plan to get a 2 stroke, but is there any way they can make it run like a 250f.

I think people have forgotten what the difference is between a 2t and a 4t besides the way it sounds. And regardless if the bike was actually "slow" or not, I am sure most of us don't have the ability to notice any short comings the bike may have. Just make sure you got it jetted and you can't go wrong.

Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. If it is the bike you really want, then get it and don't look back, you don't really need anyone but yourself to give you the okay.

Why would you want it detuned so it runs like a 250f? :moon: It still frustrates me how soon people have forgotten that a 250 2 stroke will run circles around a 250 4 stroke.

EDIT: When I say "you" I am referring to people wanting your bike to run like a 250 4 stroke KC, not "you" in particualar

what about the handling campared to the other jap motorcycles

Excellent, Honda's have always been sharp handlers, whats nice about the last gen CR's is they turn on a dime AND they are rock stable at speed.

I would say forget all the motor mods, just get the jetting down and then focus on suspension and bike set-up, you'll go way faster.

• Like 1

I owned a 2003 and currently a 2006. I miss the 2003 as it had smoother power delivery and it didn't tire me out as much. I only race MX so I can't speak to trail riding. The last edition of CR250 has a wicked hit of power and a narrow powerband. I have added a Pro-circuit pipe and silencer, V-force reed and a one tooth bigger rear sprocket. These were mods suggested by MXA. For all out power it's really strong however this can be a liability when you get tired. For quality of the bike it can't be matched. I have owned all of the Japanese MXer's and KTM and I'm convinced that Honda has better components than the rest. You will need to keep an eye on the power valve cables but really the maintianence is minimal. I had some spokes seize up on the rear wheel but I'm probably to blame as I wasn't watching them as closely as I should have. I hope this helps you make a decision.

The '05 cr250 is the only bike I've ever owned that I didn't feel like I needed a revalve to ride it offroading and racing enduros. That's all I ride these days, offroading, no mx'ing. the 200sx, 125sx's I owned prior to the CR2 all needed revalving and repsringing right off the dealer's showroom just to be able to ride it. I rode my CR250 in stock MX form for over a yr before I decided to try the 2006 CRF250x valving for offroading. I love the 250x valving. It works really good pretty much everywhere. but now that I've put 100hrs on the suspension, it's time to get the fluids serviced. So at that time, I think I'll move a few shims around to get it a bit softer for the rocks that i now find myself riding most of the time. I'm going on 4 yrs w/ my '05 cr2-have absolutely no desire to buy something else to replace it. It's that good! If you find an '05-'07 get it. they never sold in any numbers, so they're rather rare.

As far as the Mikuni vs. Keihin debate goes, if all you do is MX, the TMX carb will put out more punch imho. The Keihin seems to throttle smoother for offroading.

• Like 1

Jed

So you are saying you basicly just mimicked the 06 crf250x shim stacks in your 05 cr250? I also am very happy with my 05cr250 stock suspension for woods riding, but I am planning to change my fluids this winter and am tempted to shuffle the shims to that of the 250x.

What kind of trails are you running?

I also had the same sentiment of the carbs. The mikuni when tuned correctly had more punch and probably better for mx, but the keihin sure seemed to smooth out the power and better low end.