Sign in to follow this  

people suck

October of 2008 I traded my mint 96 Formula Z and formula 3 snowmobiles for 2 96 honda cr 250's. Fast forward to May 2009, I put one of the honda's on craigslist. I had ridden the bike maybe 6 times, ran good, sounded good. A kid called and I traded him for a 07 ttr 125. I specifically told him"if anything happens, call me, I have a 95 parts bike. This was in May, the kid texted me 2 days ago saying "dude, motor blew 2 days after we traded. $800 repair"

I texted back " sorry the motor blew, funny you waited 7 months to call me."

he replied "dude, you knew motor was going to blow, mechanic said something was made into the crank. You told me you just rebuilt motor"

I never said I rebuilt anything.

I replied "DUDE, I had no idea motor was going to blow, I'm sorry it did, but there is nothing I can do 7 months later."

This kid is maybe 15, I am close to 40, it just aggravates me that punk calls me up, begs to trade, then calls 7 months later looking for a handout. I feel bad for him, but what can I do? I don't have any money this time of year.

Now this kid is coming up with all kinds of bullcrap that I told him I rebuilt the motor and such( I never said that)

I have sold and traded 15 or so bikes on craigslist in the last 18 months, and am very truthful about what I tell people. Do unto others right?

:cheers:

like I really need this stress this time of year.:moon:

• Like 1

He waited how long to call you?! If he called within the first week then maybe he had a gripe. Tell him to go to a dealership and ask about the warranty on any MX bike and see what they say. If he's lucky they won't laugh him out the door.

why would he wait 7 months? kid is just a punk and im sure if you looked for about 3 seconds you might find a video of him goon riding on youtube

o wait

the sad part is that kids my age think that is "freakin awsome" tell the idiot you want to talk to the mechanic about your "sabatoge"

Tell him to take you to court. and don't answer any of his calls after that. It seems to me you keep trading down though, 3 snowmobiles for 2 bikes, cr250 for a ttr.....what is it? do you like abuse.

I know, I just feel kinda bad, if he is telling the truth.

I understand that, but when you sell something in "as-is" condition, then its on the buyer. Things happen, that's life, and mechanical things can blow up sometimes.....it's a crap shoot.

Seven months later? Now it sounds fishy too.......I'd not worry about it.

Dont worry about it.. if the engine would have blown at anytime before the 7 months, expecially if it happend days after the trade.. believe me you would have heard from him multiple times.. he is obviously lying and trying to get something for nothing.. let it go, dont worry about it.. just the fact that you feel bad after so long tells me your a good man ... but dont be taken advantage of.. whats done is done, he has to live with his decision to trade..

I'd tell him to bring it over and do what any shop would do...Fix it for what it will cost,including labor.

In other words...pound sand, stupid kid!

I can't stand clueless punks.!~!

For future reference, use www.k7.net, they'll give you a temporary voice mail box. This way he has no way to contact you when he does something stupid like runs it for seven months without checking the oil or cleaning the air filter.

Sorry, people are ********, this kid is gonna be their king some day.

I know, I just feel kinda bad, if he is telling the truth.

He very well could be telling the truth that bike blew up. But why is the question that you can't answer and most likely, it's nothing you did or had control over anyway. As is, no warranty, sucks, but life isn't fair.

You believed the bike was in good working order when you sold it, so no reason to not sleep well at night. :moon:

Remember, 7 months not 7 hours! :cheers:

Doodman your alot nicer of a fellow than I would be in this situation. If the kid keeps up with his contacting you and you continue to worry yourself about this, tell him to have one of his parents call you. If that happens tell them you want to see the repair/estimate sheet and the date thats on it. Ask why is their son contacting you 7 months after the sell of this bike and if there was no warranty drawn up at the time of the sell, tell them to go pound sand!

People like this (young & old) will hound you and take advantage of your feeling sorry for this kid if you let them. Dont get suckered or lose any sleep over this. He will go away because he has NO legal grounds to sue or get money from you!!

Tell him to take you to court. and don't answer any of his calls after that. It seems to me you keep trading down though, 3 snowmobiles for 2 bikes, cr250 for a ttr.....what is it? do you like abuse.

It was only 2 sleds, but those sleds were sweet, and I had a palette of parts to go with em, I should have my head examined.

Thanks for the positive comments.

I have stopped responding to his e mails, I always dwell on stupid stuff like this.

Yeah well don't worry about it, the kid is obviously not that bright, or has no clue, to expect you to help after riding the bike for 7 months. You show good character for offering to help if anything went wrong after purchase. 7 mo later is just unreasonable.

stiff shit. there is no warranty on a second hand bike bought from a private seller... How do you know whether he pre mixed his fuel???????????? you dont.. so in my books..... Stiff Shit.

Careful now! Minors have special protection under the law. In certain states a minor has a window of time to reconsider a contract. I know it sounds like total bullcrap what the kid is trying to do, but watch yourself. I just sold a quad recently to a minor and basically told him I wanted to deal with a parent or guardian only. So the deal was done through his Dad. Find some cheap or free legal advice just to be safe. Be careful selling anything to minors.

• Like 1