Sign in to follow this  

Arizona 3 Oil seals Later and 4 or 5 months gone by

I'm finnaly back on the bike... now I gotta deal wih "tick, tick, tick" coming from the engine... rrr.

After comments from everybody's favorite shop, Ride Now, Suzuki, people around here with real good advice, and gool ole trial and error... I think I got this poppin out oil seal figured out. Case out of round... um yeah maybe... whatever.... I found when an oil seal pops out on one side if you rotate the seal it will fail on the same spot of the seal. A new seal will move around making it easy to compromise until a few miles when it stretches out. Pretty clear to me the problem has been and will always be with the rubber seal... and maybe too much highway driving stretches it out like a cooked and over stretched rubber band. In case anyone cares. If anyone else buys a DR650SE buy like 6 rubber seals and keep them on hand... unless you ride primarly dirt.... then just buy a different bike. I love the bike, has been perfect for me, but this seal thing I just needed to figure out... got 5 on order ha ha

All that said, back and ready to ride... been pushing myself pretty hard on the bicycle for like several months now... so next ride should be interesting!

I I think I got this poppin out oil seal figured out. Case out of round... um yeah maybe... whatever....

Apparently not
Pretty clear to me the problem has been and will always be with the rubber seal... and maybe too much highway driving stretches it out like a cooked and over stretched rubber band.

No way

You and I discussed this many times,round and round and round. Either;The crankcase is not venting,the chain is or has been ridden too tight,or the seal is installed incorrectly. I put well over 20K miles on my last one, and never even saw a leak there. Lots of highway driving. Lots of dirt. No magic here. Again,and I ask this politely,did you or did you not verify the vent line that goes up and under the tank is clear?Do you feel a lot of pressure coming from the vent? Bring it down here, as I offered, and we will fix it. And then ride.......

I'm finnaly back on the bike... now I gotta deal wih "tick, tick, tick" coming from the engine... rrr.

After comments from everybody's favorite shop, Ride Now, Suzuki, people around here with real good advice, and gool ole trial and error... I think I got this poppin out oil seal figured out. Case out of round... um yeah maybe... whatever.... I found when an oil seal pops out on one side if you rotate the seal it will fail on the same spot of the seal. A new seal will move around making it easy to compromise until a few miles when it stretches out. Pretty clear to me the problem has been and will always be with the rubber seal... and maybe too much highway driving stretches it out like a cooked and over stretched rubber band. In case anyone cares. If anyone else buys a DR650SE buy like 6 rubber seals and keep them on hand... unless you ride primarly dirt.... then just buy a different bike. I love the bike, has been perfect for me, but this seal thing I just needed to figure out... got 5 on order ha ha

All that said, back and ready to ride... been pushing myself pretty hard on the bicycle for like several months now... so next ride should be interesting!

Oh sure, now your in such great shape I won't be able to keep up. Come up anytime & ride & watch out for those falling power lines!!

Apparently not

No way

You and I discussed this many times,round and round and round. Either;The crankcase is not venting,the chain is or has been ridden too tight,or the seal is installed incorrectly. I put well over 20K miles on my last one, and never even saw a leak there. Lots of highway driving. Lots of dirt. No magic here. Again,and I ask this politely,did you or did you not verify the vent line that goes up and under the tank is clear?Do you feel a lot of pressure coming from the vent? Bring it down here, as I offered, and we will fix it. And then ride.......

Tom... it is installed and working....did I pull of the hose? I did and yep air was flowing in and out.... put the hose back on and same thing at the other end. I agree the out of round is 99.9 percent garbage. Installed correctly is the trick and 100 percent agree with that. Like I said rotate the seal and it will blow in the same place. So I think if you don't get it in right from the get go it's easy to damage the seal. I am using the seal we installed last year and it is working fine... no leaks so it appears... course that is with the suppurt of the hi temp stuff... it's easy to remove with a knife. Might have to adjust a valve??? "tick, tick, tick" right?? But It is very slight so I am ready to ride.

Will probably be crossing I-17 on Bloody basin in the morning around 9:30 heading east, down Cave Creek, across Table Mesa & back up to Prescott.

I wish I could... got a client appointment at 11:00... so close to Christmas can't afford playing hooky.