Sign in to follow this  

pw50 1994 throtle cable problem

I bought a 1994 PW50 from craigslist, it didnt run but I paid $75 for it. I got the engine issues taken care of (it was locked up). When I started her she whent to about half throttle. after pulling the carb several times I found that the slide wasnt going to the bottom of the carb. I put a depth mike on it and the carb is around 36mm while the slide (with all cables hooked up including the 3-way connector) is 34mm. So with all of the cables hooked up the cable isnt long enough to reach the bottom of the carb. I went to the Yamaha dealer, carb and throttle cable assembly in hand to get there take on it, he recommended a whole new throttle cable assembly ($55 tax included) and couldnt tell me if it would work or not. I am thinking of modifying the peices to get the exrtra 2mm unless anyone has a better idea.

Is there an adjustment in the throttle assembly? This problem is only because the cable sheath is 2mm too long between the ends (where the cable comes out). Modifying a throttle cable can be extremely discouraging. If you can get the cap off the end of the sheath and over the end of the cable, just cut the sheath plastic and surrounding wires down 2mm and put the cap back over the cable and see if that fixes it. Be careful not to cut the cable itself, only the sheath. Sometimes a new cable is the only answer, you need to measure the cable length and sheath length and compare that way. Hope this helps. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

I trimmed down the tube that goes into the top of the carb. I think I got the 2mm I needed but I had to stop the reassembly to go buy a christmas tree. Troublesome family they always get in the way. I am about to go put her together.

well after shaving and grinding and many measuring attempts she is running at a reasonable RPM until............ the choke is turned off then she runs for a minute and dies. Pulled the carb, cleaned every mm but it helped nothing. I can fix a nuclear reactor in my sleep but pit me against a tiny simple 2-stroke and I fail miserably. Any ideas?

Pulled the carb again, soaked it in cleaner, ran wire through pilot jet, put her back on, idles fine for a minute or so then dies. Gonna start looking for air leaks.

If your mixture screw is not set properly it will idle and then peter out after 10-15 seconds. Some two strokes wont idle for long at all. It's the nature of the beast.-BIG DAN:thumbsup: