Sign in to follow this  

09/10 crf450 as a dunes bike?

Just wondering what reports guys have out there who have taken their fi crf to the dunes. On the track I know it feels much less hard hitting than the 08 and prior crf's but a lot of that is it's smooth delivery. I would think it would pull similar to the yzf in the dunes which gets the job done but won't beat the kxf,crf, or ktm sxf/xcf when all else is equal (similar rider weight and skill). I just sold my 505xcf which was my main bike at the dunes, it was pefect for that - bigger tank, awsome motor, scotts stabilizer, loved it but went to a 300 as my off road bike now for a while so the 09 crf will be my main dunes bike at least for 2010 season. Have guys been ok fuel wise compared to 08's, I worry about running out with the small tank but no one in my crew runs a desert tank, rides are under 2 hours before fueling up. Have they pulled equal to any 08/07's up the big climbs? Paddled up of coarse, 8 paddle skat track viper (a stiffer hooker style). Thanks for the input, anything else I should know before putting the bike in the sand? Been thinking about dr. d full system then remap to grab some extra hp plus throwing on a scotts stabilizer.

I have over 50 hours of dune riding on my 09. I hate to say it but in stock form it is not an ideal dune bike!! First time I took my to the dunes I felt like it was severely under powered. The smooth deliverly makes it feel very slow, like you said almost yamahaish. As for gas, it is not more efficient than older bikes. Just has a smaller tank so yes you can't ride as long as most bikes. For the most part I have not had problems with fuel, ran out once but it was legthy ride. So in stock form it was not favorite dune bike that is for sure.

That being said, a few simple mods have totally transformed it!! A good pipe (Yosh, PC, MRD) will drastically improve the power, honda missed the boat with the stock pipe! A re-mapped ECM will also help a far amount in the power department. I have an MRD pipe, re-map from Eddie, and a slighty ported head and I can promise it does not give up anything in the power department compared to any 450's. My best friend has an 09 KX-F with a Pro Circuit pipe and our bikes are neck and neck when drag racing up hills. Pretty much who ever gets the jump will win. His feels faster because of the mid range hit but when you get the revs up the CRF says bye bye now :moon:!

Now my 09 is the best dune bike I have had. Its light, carves very sharp corners, and is just a blast to ride! You will like it!!

Here are two video's of us doing some racing at the dunes, this was before the 09 Kawi was added to the stable. But you can see how the 09 compares to older CRF's (07, 06, 04).

Got to love St. Anthony. It looks like it pulled thunder just fine. How does it do on chock and grand daddy against the other 450's? I will start with a full mrd system and a remap and see where that gets me. Our typical ride involves playing around a bit on some jumps on the way out to choke, heading over to grand daddy and the big step up to the right of it, then full out down the middle through all the big dunes on the way back. I figure if I don't drag race a ton up choke and play around too much I should be ok for gas. It's no fun running out of gas out there, hoping someone notices you're not with them anymore etc.

Yeah choke cherry and grand daddy will test the motor, but it pulls great if you just keep it revved up. Where some of the other bikes will pull 3rd gear to the top I shift about half way into 2nd just to keep it screaming (my poor bike!). Even in 2nd it is by far the fastest of the my honda buddies up the hills. The 09 Kawi pulls pretty hard, but my bike stays right with it. If your real concerned about having the fastest bike get yourself an CR500AF! But seriously the 09 has great power and you will not be embarassed racing up any hills, there will always be faster bikes though.

As for gas, you can make it to choke cherry and back as long as you are not playing to much in one area. My last trip there we raced up thunder about 5 times then headed straight to choke cherry, we played there for a good while. Climbed it about 12 times, we didnt have paddles that day so it was all we could do to crest it. Then rode straight back and I ran out literally 50 feet from the truck. So you can make it there and back, just cant play alot.

i ride mine down at glamis and it does great..i raced a friend on a 06 crf450 up competition hill and beat him by a bike length. then we switched bikes to make sure it wasnt the rider and he beat me on my 09 by half a bike length...

side note: what flag mount are you guys using on your 09s? i have one off my 250f but it doesnt fit good at all

I run a flag mount very similiar to this one.

http://hinesracingf.com/480-Racing-DirtBike-mount.asp

Mounts that attach to the axle are pretty much worthless, they break flags going over an whoops or the slightest jumps. Only one problem with these, you forget the flag is chillin by your seat. Pretty easy to catch your boot on it when mounting or dis-mounting your bike, resulting in a graceful tip over.... Of course i have never do so. hahaha :moon:

I had a service honda 500 and I wasn't that impressed, maybe it was the piping or the digital cdi that was supposed to smooth out the power but seriously my 505 xcf pulled better and was way easier, less work to ride. That being said a buddy also had one with a cool head and a better pipe and it destroyed. My 505 has beat many stock cr500's up choke as well. I'm sure the 09 will do just fine, it is fun to beat everyone but not vital, as long as you're in the running. The soft narrow hill just to the right of choke with very little run up will test any bike, like climbing a straight wall of 3 foot deep powder. For ktm's hrf makes the best flag mount I have found, on my jap bikes I have used a few, all mounted to a seat bolt and then you drill a hole in the side of your fender for the rear mount. I forget their manes but I had an all aluminum one that was short and stubby and found it too close to the back of the seat. I now have a much longer one of the same concept but they come in different colors. If you go with the axle mount set up you need to drill a hole in your fender a bit back from the axle point and run a zip tie through it, then another zip tie through it and the flag. This keeps the flag for whipping too seriously and breaking or wacking you in the back. By far I like the rear of seat setup but you have to train yourself to not swing your leg off the bike or you'll snap it every time. I use a holder called "the grabber" too actually holdthe flag in the mount. If the flag breaks you fish out the broken piece, freshen up the end and slide it back in. I pack a leatherman with me that has a small point on it to fish out the broken piece and a flile saw thing that cuts a fresh end in seconds. It's a bit of a pian but it works the best that I have found so far.