Sign in to follow this  

Surgery to fix Vericocele, how much time off?

I'm going to have surgery to repair a vericocele I have developed and I want to get it done before racing season starts this spring. Can anyone with experience give me an idea of how long I should wait before I start riding/racing? I know the doc told me I shouldn't lift heavy for about a month but I wonder how that translates into riding. Also, did anyone experience any long term problems (aches or pain?).. thanks in advance.

I had it done, the discomfort subsides in a couple of weeks. They might give you a support to wear.

Just remember when you do feel like riding a little, don't ride "balls to the wall".......

I had it done, the discomfort subsides in a couple of weeks. They might give you a support to wear.

Just remember when you do feel like riding a little, don't ride "balls to the wall".......

:cheers: Thanks for the advice... I'm a little worried due to the area they will be working with... but I've heard it's a simple procedure... still though, I watched a video of it.... shouldn't have done that!!!! :moon:

Just a quick question. Why are you having this procedure done? I have had one for almost 25 years and it has never been an issue. I have asked my doctors over the years about it and all have said not to mess with it unless it becomes a problem. Aside from it looking funny I have never had any problems. Maybe I am just a lucky one.

Just a quick question. Why are you having this procedure done? I have had one for almost 25 years and it has never been an issue. I have asked my doctors over the years about it and all have said not to mess with it unless it becomes a problem. Aside from it looking funny I have never had any problems. Maybe I am just a lucky one.

I have had mine since around age 8 and I am almost 22 now. I didn't go to the doctor until a couple years ago. It had never really bothered me, maybe giving me a little discomfort every now and then, but otherwise.. it just looked funny.

When I went off to college and started really getting into heavy weight lifting, it started giving me problems. I had some serious pain for a couple of days so I decided to see a urologist. He told me that since it was causing me pain, and since my left testicle showed signs of atrophy, that I should go ahead and have surgery.

My particular case is pretty bad and quiet large. I know it isn't going to magically get better on its own so I'd rather just get rid of the problem. I'm also worried about my fertility.. although I'm not aware of any infertility problems right now.. I feel like I may be at risk.

I'm going to have surgery to repair a vericocele I have developed and I want to get it done before racing season starts this spring. Can anyone with experience give me an idea of how long I should wait before I start riding/racing? I know the doc told me I shouldn't lift heavy for about a month but I wonder how that translates into riding. Also, did anyone experience any long term problems (aches or pain?).. thanks in advance.

If you don't mind my asking, what type repair are you having done? Is it the "inside your abdomen vein work", or is it the old-school direct vein-stripping type, or is there another type, or are you going to have one testicle and related tissue removed?

If you don't mind my asking, what type repair are you having done? Is it the "inside your abdomen vein work", or is it the old-school direct vein-stripping type, or is there another type, or are you going to have one testicle and related tissue removed?

I believe he told me he'd be making an incision in my lower abdomen.

I'm going to keep both my boys for sure! :moon:

I believe he told me he'd be making an incision in my lower abdomen.

I'm going to keep both my boys for sure! :moon:

Best wishes on it. I'd personally err on the side of taking too much time off vs, not enough! I would not want anything breaking loose just because I got back into it too soon. Just me, though....

Maybe similar, in healing time and location of surgery. 2 years ago had a Hydrocelectomy, spent about a week off work. Caved in to pressure from my immature and idiotic supervisor to come back to "light duty work". A few days into this I was asked to do some mopping, this put me back out of work, with internal bleeding in my scrotum. Thankfully, no serious damage, just a good dose of pain and swelling.

Seems like when you feel you're ready to test your limits, thats the time for restraint!