Sign in to follow this  

KTM Part PRICES

I am oh so close to buying the 2010 450 but the cost of some of the engine parts are a little eye opening to say the least!!! I know they are reportedly durable but some testimonials would be a relief,Thanks!!! (Info that is revelant to the newer 450/505 motor please)

if you actually shop i would think you might be surprised at the actual cost. i own and have owned many brands and ktm has really brought their price in line with any jap brand these days

From a 2007 article but things haven't changed much.

I agree, prices are pretty much in line with Jap brands. Find a good mail order KTM supplier or strike up a deal for percentage off before you buy.

Partslist.jpg

For worst case i pulled the price of a crank which was almost $1000. A complete clutch pack is over$200. A piston kit was over $300. Thats why i was asking about durability. Not wanting to start a debate but in comparison honda keeps their prices on major components resonable. Mentioned honda because thats what i have been riding.

cranks and clutches dont usually go bad in a KTM and the pistons dont need replacing very often, They just hold up better, as do the valve adjustments.

I doubt you'll have crank problems provided you put oil in the engine and keep it serviced. Pistons and clutches and so on can be had much cheaper by buying pattern parts. Also, ebay is great as often parts can be had dirt cheap when bikes are being broken. Got my set of clutch plates, bolts, springs etc for £0.99 + £5 postage. Felt so bad about it being so cheap I bunged the bloke a few quid more!

The part price is due to the bad,bad USD /Euro exchange rate. All and EVERY KTM part is first priced in Euro.

Also - the crank price you referred to is for complete crank. Not just the conrod kit.

I'm still on the original clutch plates on my Revloc equipped '04 525 (540) EXC after 13,000+ miles. The fiber plates were approaching minimum thickness but they still looked like new so I reinstalled them along with one thicker steel plate and all is still good.

Unless you forget to install your air filter, don't put oil in the engine after changing it, or remove all the coolant, parts prices are not a concern for KTMs...Engine parts last 2-3 times longer easily...One call to any of the KTM builders will confirm this and they have estimates of rebuilds...When I see a CRF450R at 50-100 hours, it needs complete head ($600), crank assy with mains ($350), piston kit/gaskets/seals ($300) = $1,250 just in parts...KTM needs light valve job with new valve stem seals, top end kit, and its ready to go...

Now like all mechanical things the IQ of the owner has alot to do with the life of it...Did an engine job last month, wasted CRF450R, owner never checked the valves and road it until it wouldn't start...Up on inspecting the bike found the inline clutch cable adjusted jam nut had come loose and removed all the free play in the clutch...Sure enough clutch was gone and he was riding it on the rev limiter, thinking he was fast, 99% of the KTM owners are not first time riders...Just what I see...

ok 08 450 XCF, 40 hours, oil, no valves adjustments and nothing else, friends 450R - Oil, new valves, many other engine parts, yeh it has 60 hours or so on it....Valves are a constant issue for him and it aint cheap

just the savings on head rebuilds compared to say a honda 450r will far out weigh the extra xpense on other parts. and if you look at that price chart alot of the piston and crank parts are all inclusive. maybe still a bit more but not as big of a diff as it seems. like the crank at 1000 bucks but you will save on the press apart and repress/ rebalance cost. on my buddies crf450f the book says it needs a ring set at 12 hrs. omg not a ktm. my mechanic says not to even adjust valves until it gets harder to start, big savings

if you have already owned a four stroke, ktm if anything is cheaper to maintain and built better............2010 450 sxf is prolly the best 450 out there for sure, this is coming from a kx owner so its not a biased opinion