Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Farmington, NM trail users please read!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone from Farmington or those from the area that use Farmington trails read this link to a thread on Pirate4x4 http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842701

The velo de animas bicycle club is basically trying to shut the area off to all users other than bicyclists and stuff us all into the open OHV area. The BLM is also accepting comments on their website at the below link.

http://www.nm.blm.gov/glade_run/glade_run_comment_form.html

Also everyone please join NMOHVA New Mexico Off Highway Vehicle Association they are helping us fight to keep our right to us public lands.

http://www.nmohva.org/main/index.php

Edited by 505Fire
add link at bottom
  • Like 1

Hey everyone from Farmington or those from the area that use Farmington trails read this link to a thread on Pirate4x4 http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842701

The velo de animas bicycle club is basically trying to shut the area off to all users other than bicyclists and stuff us all into the open OHV area. The BLM is also accepting comments on their website at the below link.

Also everyone please join NMOHVA New Mexico Off Highway Vehicle Association they are helping us fight to keep our right to us public lands.

http://www.nmohva.org/main/index.php

Even if you don't ride those areas, please give the BLM your input. It can only help and it only takes a few minutes. I know I try and comment on all riding areas that are in need.

This issue seems very confusing. I work and ride (dirtbikes) in the Glade, I have seen the BLM signs and don't understand them at all. I have had folks tell me that the BLM is tired of all the trash in Choke Cherry (Glade). Most people can easily see that the trash is from shooters or teenager parties late at night...not bikers. I have been able to find addresses from envelopes in piles of trash and notify the sheriff. Like previous posts have stated, there seems to be a lack of communication pertaining to Glade area intentions.

A lot of the problems seem to be stemming from the current Ranger. He is definitely making things difficult for the responsible users of the area.

Hey everyone from Farmington....

The velo de animas bicycle club is basically trying to shut the area off to all users other than bicyclists and stuff us all into the open OHV area.

Does this surprise anyone?

I got this in a email, so I will post it here.

As you know the situation with the BLM and the Glade is still on going, and in early December we (all the user groups reps) met at a meeting that the BLM called for. Basically, we just covered all the comments that each seperate group reps told the BLM in the meeting before this one, the BLM wanted to make sure everyone agrees on the comments and that it is stated as we said. Also talked about the city and the land that they are leasing/renting from the BLM for the new street and the new BLM office. Basically nothing new, just a replay of old stuff.

Now the new stuff:

Here is the part that each and everyone of you can do. The BLM has a site set up for ALL Glade users to comment on and add input for the BLM to consider in their decisions as to what they will do.

PLEASE DO THIS: PLEASE............

EVERYONE NEEDS TO GO TO THIS SITE AND FILL OUT THE COMMENT SHEET AND SUBMIT IT, (ALSO PRINT A COPY AND SAVE,AS WE ALL KNOW THE BLM "MISPLACES THINGS ALOT!) AND THEN HAVE AT LEAST 2 OR 3 FRIENDS THAT USE THE GLADE COMMENT TO SUPPORT DIRT BIKE, ETC. BASICALLY SUPPORT THE MOTORIZED USER GROUPS. IT IS OPEN TO ANYONE TO COMMENT, IN STATE OR OUT OF STATE.

DEADLINE FOR COMMENTS IS JANUARY 13, 2010 AFTER THAT THEY WILL NOT COUNT OR BE REVIEWED

it will only take a few minutes.........here is the web site and go to the direct comment form

This is the main page in case the above link does not work (back up plan)

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/farmington/Glade_Run_Recreation_Area/grra_improvement_public.html

on the right click on "on-line comment form"

You only need to do one or the other, I just put both, one is a back up.

We need proof to support what we have told the BLM in the meetings, how much the trails are used, and by who. Let the BLM know that we are the largest user group, and we are involved and watching this process unfold.

We are making head way and this will turn out good, but we as a group have to stay involved and see this to the end.

So please get this done for the group, and see ya on the trail

Baylin Berg

This issue seems very confusing. I work and ride (dirtbikes) in the Glade, I have seen the BLM signs and don't understand them at all. I have had folks tell me that the BLM is tired of all the trash in Choke Cherry (Glade). Most people can easily see that the trash is from shooters or teenager parties late at night...not bikers. I have been able to find addresses from envelopes in piles of trash and notify the sheriff. Like previous posts have stated, there seems to be a lack of communication pertaining to Glade area intentions.

True, Dirtbikers aren't dumping trash there. I wrote a letter supporting motorized use and I applauded the BLM's efforts to patrol the area. We have to be tolerant of being stopped because there's no other way to police that area. There are too many access points via gas road so having people there to catch violators is our only hope to preserve it. Think about the people that the ranger has to deal with every day. We and the rangers need to be on the same side.

True, Dirtbikers aren't dumping trash there. I wrote a letter supporting motorized use and I applauded the BLM's efforts to patrol the area. We have to be tolerant of being stopped because there's no other way to police that area. There are too many access points via gas road so having people there to catch violators is our only hope to preserve it. Think about the people that the ranger has to deal with every day. We and the rangers need to be on the same side.

The best way to get involved is talk to the Rangers. I try to be involved in the BLM volunteer programs. Reporting illegal dumping etc. helps keep these areas open.

Here in GJ the problem with illegal dumping is pretty bad. There are always people out there (mostly kids) abandoning their vehicles after a night of drinking and thrashing the shit out of the hoopty vehicles. Currently in the middle of one of my favorite trails sits a burned up 2008 Ford F-350 pickup that was left smoldering this summer. It seems the desert is a great place for people behind on their payments to burn and abandon their vehicles. Insurance loss? I lost count of all the abandoned vehicles and trash piles.

One thing we could all do is encourage the enforcement of current laws instead of closure of areas. Many would agree that the government has enough laws already and just needs to enforce the ones they have on the books. In every letter I write to our senators or congressmen I emphasize that wilderness is not going to make illegal actions on public lands go away. I tell them good management of public lands is a better alternative to wilderness. One BLM law enforcement officer per a million acres is a joke to the criminals and a travesty to the Law abiding puplic land users. Great job to all those who wrote letters in a constructive manner.

Regards,

Thomas