Sign in to follow this  

pleeeeez help, chopy video with my gopro

Did my first test rum with my gopro wide angle 5 meg pixel. Everything seemed to work fine. It turned on and off when it was suposed to, stayed on like it should, etc,,,, I didn't even have the feared short battery life problems.

The problem is with the play back. The video is realy chopy. The picture/sound constantly freezes through out the video. It was a great ride, this glitch is killing me!

I bought a two pack of standard SandDisc 2GB SD cards. Is it an SD card problem? Will a better SD card stop this problem? Please help, S/T.

It is probably your card. I believe the GoPro recommends the SDHC card, instead of the SD card.

Not sure what batteries you are using, I use the Lithium. I have no issues with the card or batteries.

Good luck.

Did my first test rum with my gopro wide angle 5 meg pixel. Everything seemed to work fine. It turned on and off when it was suposed to, stayed on like it should, etc,,,, I didn't even have the feared short battery life problems.

The problem is with the play back. The video is realy chopy. The picture/sound constantly freezes through out the video. It was a great ride, this glitch is killing me!

I bought a two pack of standard SandDisc 2GB SD cards. Is it an SD card problem? Will a better SD card stop this problem? Please help, S/T.

Perhaps its the computer you are playing it back on? Or maybe your input method. What program are you using on your computer? If I had to guess, I would say it may be your computer.

Perhaps its the computer you are playing it back on? Or maybe your input method. What program are you using on your computer? If I had to guess, I would say it may be your computer.

Or what big kx said. :moon:

As mentioned, use a SDCH memory card.

They'll write at higher speed.

i have a similar problem. it plays fine, but after i edit the video, its REALLY choppy and crappy looking. im using windows movie maker btw. any suggestions?

i have a similar problem. it plays fine, but after i edit the video, its REALLY choppy and crappy looking. im using windows movie maker btw. any suggestions?

I use windows movie maker as well. Below are a few samples of what I have done. Do you compress them after editing? I usually don't compress them too much, if at all. I am not sure if that would have anything to do with the choppy videos. Anyone else?

To test playback, plug into your tv. If it's choppy on the tv it's your card. If not, then your computer video card is slow or you need more ram. Viewing your clips in Quicktime player, there is a "show movie inspector" under the window menu. That will show how many fps your movie is playing at on your computer.

Hope that helps.

I don't think a high speed card will make any difference (except when copying to a hard drive) I use the same card as you and have had no problems. try changing the setting on camera from pal to ntsc or ntsc to pal. where abouts are you mounting it? and def make sure to use Nimh rechargeable with rating 800mah or above or lithium batteries

Thank's every body for the imput! I forgot to give it a try by pluging it directly into the TV. Your right, that will rule out PC speed problems. I was runing the SD card on Window meda player and had the same chopy playback on Quicktime. The funny thing is that I finished burning the SD card to a DVD just after posting for help. Nothing fancy just a straight copy. The DVD copy was flawless! What does that say? I was realy bumed out until I watched the DVD copy. This camera is going to do a good job at saveing some great memories when I get the bugs worked out!

I have it mounted to the right side of the chin guard area of my helmet. It's as far forward as possible. This blocks a little of right side vision but the video looks just like what I have seen from custom mounts that possition the camera at the nose of the helmet. I plan to keep that mounting location, just flip the mount so the camera is hanging upside down and out of my view. That shoud give a simular angle to a chest protector mount, the angle that I'm looking for. I like to see some arms, hands, handle bars, front fender and maybe even a little tank in the shot. It looks like a video game on play back. Kind of like a first person shooter game, LOL.

So, I will look into getting a SDCH card (15mbps or class 4), check out Quick times "show movie inspector," try different settings (pal to ntsc or ntsc to pal), and plug it directly into the TV.

BTW, sorry if I was missleading but my batteries worked fine. I did a solid hour plus on some cheap radio shack rechargable AAA's that came with a charging pack. They are rated at 850 mAh. I also picked up a couple Duracell rechargable AAA's that are rated at 1,000 mAh. Wow were they expencive, $10 for two!

Edited by snaggletooth

I have it mounted to the right side of the chin guard area of my helmet. It's as far forward as possible. This blocks a little of right side vision but the video looks just like what I have seen from custom mounts that possition the camera at the nose of the helmet. I plan to keep that mounting location, just flip the mount so the camera is hanging upside down and out of my view

Can you post up a pic of how you mounted the GoPro? Thanks!

This is the way I started out. The camera blocked a little of my vision but not much. I still should had mounted it on the left side of the helmet. Since the red light is on the left side of the view finder it could not be seen unless I tilted the camera. If the camera was mounted on the left side, the red light should be seen without moving the camera.

101_5368.jpg

101_5369.jpg

This is the new configureation. I think that it will be perfect for the image I want! I would still recomend putting it on the left side of the helmet. That would make left hand (non-throttle hand) use a tad easier.

101_5372.jpg

101_5371.jpg

101_5370.jpg