Shoulder strength training

Im 29 years old and Im in pretty good shape for someone that doesnt work out on a regular basis. 6' 180-185, non smoker, social drinker (once every 4-5 months)

When I was 13 I had my right shoulder dislocate (out the back) in gym class.. Teacher though he was a tough guy and dropped me in a wrestling move which screwed me for life.

Anywho.. My right shoulder has been out well over a dozen times, I actually lost count. My left shoulder is bad but isnt half as bad.. At one point I slipped on the ice, landed on my left shoulder, and my right one fell out. Dont ask, cuz I dont know.. I was in a sling for damn near 3 weeks.

I have a hard time working out at the gym in a bench press move when I work on my chest, or even in a "push up" position. After so long it feels like my shoulders are gonna blow right out the back. But I know when to stop. I have absolutely no problems pulling something twards me with everything that Ive got.

When Im riding I can honestly say that I dont have any MAJOR pain issues, even after an 8hr practice day. But even with weather changes, and some movements (putting both my arms up above my head, hands up high). I always feel discomfort, stiffness, and 98% of the time both my shoulders pop when this happens.

Is there some sort of easy but very effective strength training for shoulders and upper body that will help bring some upper body control back? Mostly in the event of a fall or a collision, I want to have more there to hold everything in place.

Joe

Lots of easy exercises to help stabilize your shoulders. I'd personally get a referral to a good PT to start, but they're not hard to do on your own. Dr. Mark's website has some info. All you need is some light weights or thera-bands (elastic bands). There are also exercises to avoid (be careful with anything above shoulder height or don't do it). I do the stabilizing exercises weekly at the gym, but easy to do at home.

You should probably see a good orthopedic guy so you know exactly where you stand. Assuming your shoulders can be helped without surgery, a few visits with a PT will help a lot with teaching you how to do the exercises correctly and how to avoid further damage/irritation. They can also provide the Thera-Bands with different levels of resistance.

His website- shoulder instability section (lot of other info as well)

http://www.sandersclinic.net/shlder_instability.html#

Personally, I'm very careful with any exercises over shoulder height which can make you worse. Some of the ones shown here are good for range of motion, but if your shoulders are really bad might be a bad idea (my opinion and that of my PT wife). I had a pretty good AC separation 18 months ago and have done a lot of rock climbing, play hockey, etc. so keeping my shoulders stable is important. I prefer free weights for some of these doing 3 sets of 10-15 reps - it doesn't take a lot of weight.

What I do is shown pretty well here:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/265.html

You might start with 3 lbs. I use 8-12 lbs. and have been doing it a long time. These helped my Dad avoid surgery. An ortho recommended surgery but exercises and common sense has him 90% better at least and he can do all his activities/sports.

Good luck.