Sign in to follow this  

1997 C2500 ignition problems.

HI all. Well just assumed my starter was bad in my 97 c2500 (diesel , 6.5L, manual tranny) so paid 180 bucks for a new one and put it in only to not have the truck turn over still.... So then i tried jumping the solenoid and it started right up. (wish i would have tried that before pulling the old starter out. :moon: )

At any rate, i have no wiring diagram and just want to trace it back. Can anyone tell me where the solenoid wire goes to on this truck? Any other logical things to check other than the ignition switch (which im pretty sure is okay, because i can hear the relay in the fusebox when i turn the key to start.)?

thanks!

Edited by dirtyb15

the pictures on that truck (parts wise) are pretty bad... it shows to have a neutral safety switch on the clutch master cyl, that would do what you are talking about.

if you can see it, you might unplug and bypass.... easy place to start.

Thanks for the schematics, they have been a good help. Well, i took some measurements at the relay in the fuse box, and everything there is okay. I popped the relay in and could here it working. So then i made sure there was continuity from the starter solenoid to the relay, and there is. So i tried applying 12 volts at the relay leg and nothing. Then i tried applying 12 volts directly to the solenoid and still nothing. I think i got a bum starter solenoid with my "Reman" starter at autozone.....arghhhh

all fixed, thanks again for the help jhendr. Ended up being two things, one i hooked up the wrong terminal on the new starter :moon: and also had a loose ground wire.