Sign in to follow this  

spitting and popping HELP!

heres the scoop, im working on a 00 yz426 and it hasnt been cranked in over a year.. it ran perfect before we quit riding it.... So.. I cleaned out the gas tank and carb, put new plug in it, fresh 93 fuel, and check the valve lash...everything looked good.... every nook and cranny is clean, clean ,clean... it will run but it spits and pops like crazy.... i just dont see how it would be like that when nothing different has been done to it, its just been sitting... i did notice that the teflon coating was falling off the slide in the carb.... has anyone ever had to replace the vacuum release plate???? any help would be greatly appreciated..... thanks for your time..

Spitting and popping, like backfiring?

If it is backfiring then it's always a lean condition, so if nothing has changed then it's either clogged jets or a bad gasket allowing air to leak in.

Clean the jets again, this time let them soak overnight in carb cleaner in a dish. Clean out the passages thoroughly, sometimes you need to take out all the parts of the carb to clean it properly.

When you re-assemble get new gaskets and make sure that the carb is securly tightened to the rubber intake boot.