Kickstarter rebuild!?

My YZ250 kickstarter rattles like a can of marbles. What's the fix?

Besides spending tall cash for a new one......

Please note that the kickstarter is tight on the shaft. It's where the lever meets the mounting bracket (the swivel point) that rattles. I've heard there's a ball bearing and spring in there that can wear out, but I'm not familiar. Anyone have an opinion? Thx!

you can easily take it apart by yourself and see whats making it rattle. just take off the bolt in the kickstarter lever and inspect the inside but its just a small ball,spring and o-ring in the inside. does the shaft itself rattle?

partimage.gif

Edited by motofreak0592

That makes sense. Maybe a larger ball will help tighten it up at least until it whores out the hole again. Thanks!

Also try a stronger spring. I helped the one on my older yz with a strong spring from Lowes. At that time they sold a bag of assorted springs for a few dollars. Sometimes the kick starter assembly is tough to get disconnected from the motor. I much prefer working on the kickstarter on the bench.. I found a battery terminal puller for cheap and it does a good job on it.

I bought a new spring, ball bearing & the o-ring for mine and still had play. It was due to me letting it rattle to long before fixing & the aluminum started to mash together....I put a plastic washer (home depot) and it was new and tight again....

PIC>>>> 101_0308-1-1.jpg

• Like 1

My rm had the same issue. The only way to fix it is with a new one, the aluminum wears away. I got a new one and kept it greased, never had an issue after that.

The reason they where out is because people don't realize that periodically you have to take apart the kicker and grease it. If you don't the old grease will dry up and your kicker will wear out in no time.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but my kick starter is killing me.

It will not stay folded in, and it stabs the crap out of the inside of my leg repeatedly while riding.

Bike is an '01 YZ-250.

It just flops out, and will not stay in at all.

I took the spring and ball out and looked at them; didn't see anything wrong, but I dunno...

Does it sound to y'all like the whole kickstarter needs replacing, or could I try the washer thing from Lowe's like Subarubie did?