Sign in to follow this  

Taking a Step Back

Hey all,

As my name implies I started on a 1996 RM250. It was basically a nightmare and didn't run most of the few months I had it. During the few times I did ride it, it was in an open field. Throttle control wasn't an issue, but I could I could see where I could get myself into trouble with it. I got rid of that bike and have been looking to get into the sport the right way.

I live out on 64 acres, so I am starting to clear trails to ride, So I guess it will be mostly a "farm bike," but my friends all have MX bikes, so it needs to be willing to stand up to the occasional rough landing.

What would be a good starting bike? Coming from a street background, I'm still not used to being up high. I was thinking along a KX100 since they're cheap, I could learn, then maybe pass it onto my younger bro or keep it as a friend bike.

Does this sound like a good idea? I went and looked at bikes at the dealership and liked the height and feel of the TTR-230, but the YZ250F was not a huge leap in size. Perhaps that old RM was lifted for a heavier rider? Or should I just jump on a full sized to start?

I am 21, 5'9" and 166lbs. Dirt experience is minimal. Licensed for street thru MSP and ride with family occasionally.

Thanks!

I think you might be disapointed in anything smaller than a 125 smoker or a 250f, since you do have some riding experience.

I think you might be disapointed in anything smaller than a 125 smoker or a 250f, since you do have some riding experience.

I second that one!

I rode a friend's KX100 after I rebuilt the carburetor on it. It was quicker than I expected when I got on it, lifting the front end pretty high in the air. But, then again, the front tire wasn't holding air and the rear was almost bald. I liked being able to flatfoot it though. I'm like right at the verge of being too big for it height wise.

In an open field, I would probably get bored with a 100 quick, but on trails, I don't have the slightest as I've never ridden them.

Is there a big difference in power between the 100 and 125 2t?

the 125 2stroke would be less pipey than the 100 it would be much more rideable. you can pick up a nice 125 or 250 2 stroke pretty chead these days. if tou are considering new then i would go with a 250f the wr250f yamaha is an excellent bike once you do the minor upgrades to uncork the smog stuff. electric start, kickstand, extremely reliable, smooth usable power, good suspension, pretty light weight, and even track worthy if you stiffen up the suspension a bit.