Sign in to follow this  

adding a 12V outlet on a DRZ kicker??

Anyone do it? I really just want it for powering a GPS.

BUT, I do not want any kind of voltage spikes hurting the GPS. Any info appreciated.

voltage is way to unstable to run any electronics with out a battery.

watch the head light at idle and when you rev it.

Add a small battery.

And what is involved in that process? Thanks for the info.

Has anyone converted a K to an S or an E?

what was involved? I imagine just swapping the wires harness, stator, and the other related electrical components?? Battery, RR, etc?

I do not mind having the kick start...not enough to fully covert to an electric start anyway, but I would like to have the ability to have electrical accessories on this bike, if possible.

A full electrical system conversion is not a simple process. Case half, crank, cover, flywheel, stator are all different. Adding a battery is simple. Mount a rechargable battery, perform "free power" mod to hook up the battery. Add a master switch between the battery positive and the existing orange wire. Connect the existing black with white trace wire to the battery. Remove the capacitor. With the battery you will have to use the master switch to turn the system on and off.

just dump it and buy an e/s. Cost would be about the same, but the work saved is priceless.

Noble: Thanks for reply. I look up the "free power" mod. I have heard that term thrown around here. Here is the wiring diagram. I follow all your instructions, except for the part with the capacitor? I do not see one in the diagram??

drz400.jpg

HIX: That is not an option. I am set with this bike, even if I have to end up with a battery powered hand held GPS unit.

that diagram is not correct.

For the kickstart model, it is not??

no,its missing the capacitor.

If it were in there, where would it be?

I would like to just add small battery to the system, especially since I already have one that would be perfect.

Let me know if you think this is a crazy idea: I take one of these trailtech R/R's, and wire it into the system as follows:

Tie the yellow wires from this R/R into the wires that are powering everything now, on my dual sport kit....which basically come from the current stator. The red and black would go to the battery to charge it. I could then run my 12V accessories outlet direct from the battery....and use it for a GPS??

This R/R would essentially just be there, to charge the battery for accessory usage. Everything else in the system would stay the same. I have no plans to convert the bike to an electric starter....so no reason to change anything else in my mind.

The R/R: http://www.trailtech.net/7003-RR150.html

The wiring diagram for it: ( lower section, since battery I have to use is a 10 Ah): http://www.trailtech.net/media/instructions/lights/regrec/010-ELV-71.pdf

?????

Potential issues??

1. Is there an issue having a second R/R, downstream of the 1st, stock one?

2. If this R/R was used for charging the battery..and directly connected to the battery, and then an accessory was wired to same battery posts...would the accessory be subject to voltage spikes??

3. would there be any voltage spikes, or would the TT R/R eliminate that issue??

Thanks for the help and advice all. I can see from your posts and replies, some really know about the electronics on these bikes.

Hmmm, converting a kicker to an E/S would not necessarily require crankcase change but you'll have to accept that you will retain a lower output stator. However you will need a loom, battery and battery holder etc. I'dsuggest that it would be better to sell the kicker and buy an E!!

But to be honest if you are just going out for a few hours ride fit a rechargable sealed 12v battery behind a side panel and wire the GPS to it.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=19363 I use one of these on the boat and it lasts for days.

Dan

This is the battery I have to use..I had it in my GSXR 600 track bike:

sell19.jpg

here are the specs for it:

Voltage 12 Volts

Capacity (10 Hr) 6 Ah

Cold Cranking Amps 85

Approximate Weight 12

Not sure how long it would last without being charged while riding??

Devondan: I just bought this bike, and its in a great shape for a 2000....so I do not want to sell it to get an E. The buying of the loom and all the other stuf sounds too pricey. Big picture, I wanna just get a way, cost effectively, to add in an outlet for a GPS...and not have my selections limited. If I can not do it for under $250, then, IMO, the better route for me to go is just suck it up and buy the Garmin 60 CSX, which runs off its own power.

If my idea above would work..I can get the system installed for under $100, which covers the TT R/R, and stock battery mounts.

Hi Doug

You'll do it for less than $5 if you wire in your GPS to your battery!!!! It really is no hassle to recharge it every now and then, Personally I'd fit a battery half that size, a GPS draws little power, on my boat GPS runs all day on a battery smaller than yours.

Alternatively go down this route (I'm seriously thinking about it): http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/kit-gps-moto-so-easy-rider-v3-without-earphones-battery-booster-i12501.html If you scroll down you can see that you can add a battery pack. Just out of interest what GPS do you have? Do you know what current it draws?

Dan

Hi Doug

You'll do it for less than $5 if you wire in your GPS to your battery!!!! It really is no hassle to recharge it every now and then, Personally I'd fit a battery half that size, a GPS draws little power, on my boat GPS runs all day on a battery smaller than yours.

Alternatively go down this route (I'm seriously thinking about it): http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/kit-gps-moto-so-easy-rider-v3-without-earphones-battery-booster-i12501.html If you scroll down you can see that you can add a battery pack. Just out of interest what GPS do you have? Do you know what current it draws?

Dan

For the street, I have a TT 720. I was going to buy a different unit for the DRZ, since it will need to be waterproof , and probably more rugged. That add on battery pack in the link you added is interesting. I may look into that as well. Thanks Dan.

capacitor is behind the head light.its a rubber coated barrel.

What does it do, and will it hurt anything if I start pulling wires off it?