Sign in to follow this  

help help

Hello all any advice you can give would be great. I have been reading other threads which have helped.

Im in the market for a new bike. KTM perferably. I will be strictly woods riding in the midwest. Harlan, Hatfeild Mcoy and such. Lots of hills and mud. I am 6ft 2in and 260lbs, I dont want to spend a ton so Im buying used. From what I have read the exc model seems to be the right model. So what do you guys think. And what cc. I just found a 2006 400 exc-g fo 3700. From my research this looks like a great price. And it is from a dealer to boot. The bike looks mint minus boot marks. Not sure on the hours. but by the looks of the body it hasnt seen many bushes. Somebody help me pull the trigger on something.

I have a 06 400exc and love it. Nice smooth power like an electric motor, it doesn’t have the hit like the bigger bikes so you won’t get as tired as fast. For the tighter more technical riding I think it’s the best bike out there (unless you want to spend $9000 on the FE390). The draw back is it’s not as fast in the open stuff, it’ll cruise 60mph easily all day long, but don’t expect to run with the 450/525 in the wide open. I’m similar to you in height and weight 6’1” 230lbs and feel it has all the power I need or can use in the woods. Now that I’m doing more DS I wish it had a little more for the open stuff so I’m thinking about putting the 453 kit on it. You will want to get the suspension set up for your weight (it makes a ton of difference) and may want to look at a tall seat and bar risers (I have the EE tall-soft seat and GPR stabilizer with their under-bar mount).

I would highly recommend the 400exc and think you would be happy with it, I know I am.

Kennedy

eagleeye tht sounds ike a really good bike for you.. reasons..1) at 6'2" the ktm will fit you really well, better than most japan brands. 2) the 400 has plenty of power for the woods and a bigger guy like you, but not overwhelming like a 525/530 might be. many guys who ride the woods alot prefer the softer powerband of the 400. out west here in the desert we all love the big motors, but in the woods it can be a detrement. the 400 has plent of power tho, its just not as explosive.

ask the dealer for a bit of a warranty so you can go out and thrash it a bit and make sure it is solid

check the hours, i feel if its under 500 hours that would be agood price

best wishes bro and welcome to the orange side

thanks for the advice. Also I dont plan on doing any D.S. with the bike. is the exc the best woods bike. And is there a difference between the exc and the exc-g. I wish KTm had a page that explained the shit ton of letters after all there bikes. Thanks again. I might buy that 400

i think it is the best woods weapon out there. never heard of a g ???excr exc xcw etc.... but not a g. there is a system to their letters. the 400 is a fine ds if you want to make it one, but it is best for the woods

letter designation= sx=supercross or motocross models 2 stroke, sxf=sx and mx 4 stroke. xc= cross country or enduro type riding. any W means wide ratio trans F means 4stroke. not sure in exc what the e stands for, but the exc and xcwf are almost the same bikenow with the exc being street legal and the xcwf being the off road model but almost identical

exc-enduro cross country.......the g in exc-g is a cali green sticker thing ....basicly means nothing,same bike.xcw...x conrtry with a wide ratio tranny

good info above, these designations have evolved with time, ignor the "G", there was a year or so that this was a "cal" model, then all of the EXC line came with the "G". In 2006 an EXC was an Enduro ready bike, starting on 07 same bike would be an XC-W and EXC was street legal.

That 400 EXC is an excellent model, plenty of beans but not intimidating power, smooth & easy to ride and by 06 all of the early year snivels where well sorted out