Sign in to follow this  

z50A case vs xr50 case

Does anybody know if there is any difference between a z50A crankcase and a xr50 case? I know the rod and cylinder is shorter and the head is different. I have a k1 z50 and im rebuilding the motor and if the cases will allow i will put an xr stroker crank and xr style head/cylinder. Im pretty sure the only difference with the crank itself is that the stator side is longer so will have to us xr stator assembly. motor is fully disasembled, and case is ready to be bored for big cylinder. i want to build a 125cc from this case. Any info is helpfull.

Does anybody know if there is any difference between a z50A crankcase and a xr50 case? I know the rod *and cylinder* is shorter and the head is different. I have a k1 z50 and im rebuilding the motor and if the cases will allow i will put an xr stroker crank and xr style head/cylinder. Im pretty sure the only difference with the crank itself is that the **stator side is longer so will have to us xr stator assembly**. motor is fully disasembled, and case is ready to be bored for big cylinder. i want to build a 125cc from this case. Any info is helpfull.

*The cylinders are both the same height, 63mm*

** the crank from an XR/CRF is 3/8" longer and has a different taper also, but you cannot use the XR/CRF stator plate/pulse trigger until you've modified the left side engine case for the pulse trigger to fit. You'll have to use the XR/CRF flywheel and ignition cover, and the shift shaft will be 3/8" too short with the wider ignition cover. The Z50A cases also use bronze bushings instead of needle bearings on the machined ends of the trans shafts.**

Yes, you can substitute the XR shift shaft for the Z one, and an inner rotor kit will eliminate the need to notch out the left side engine case. You can not run lights with the inner rotor, and you'll have to upgrade to a 12V coil to work with the CDI box for the inner rotor.