Sign in to follow this  

Linkage and Swingarm Maintenance

Folks, I was curious as to how well the linkage and swingarm were lubed from the factory so I pulled them off and had a look. I couldn't believe how thin, and how little grease was in these components. I would highly suggest you take a new bike and go through all the pivot points on the swingarm and linkage and put quality grease and plenty of it in them. It is a pain, but it will be well worth your time to get off to the right start.

Absolutely! You may think that your brand new bike is all set up, because, after all, it's factory fresh. It can be a little scary to take a perfectly brand new bike apart if you are a noobie, but I highly recommend doing so. It will get you familiar with the bike, and will allow you to inspect the factory's work. I've seen head bolts that were not fully seated, valves that were out of spec, carbs (four cylinder street bikes) that were out of sync and so on. Repacking the bearings in the hubs, steering head and swing arm pivots will prevent costly repairs a year or so down the road. I've seen some guys put grease nipples on the head tube and fill that sucker up!

Edited by Blue Hawaii

I do mine yearly at the end of winter :moon:

Not nearly as needed, but easy to do, so I also hit the steering stem bearings

One thing I have yet to do on my 150f is disassemble the wheel bearings.. I can only imagine mine are in desperate need of attention!