Sign in to follow this  

early 80's xr/xl80's

Does anybody know if you could use one of the newer 90 watt stators from rickystator. They are for the newer xr70's, 80's, and 100's. I am guessing that you might have to get a newer wiring harness and change over to CDI--if that's possble. I'm just curious just how much I can do to my little XL80s. It's pretty fun to have a little pit bike that I can ride to work. I just wish there was a fix for the footpegs that bolt into the cases. One side is stripped out. I managed to fix it (kinda) with a lot of teflon(sp?) tape. I just have to be careful how much weight I put on the pegs. :moon::cheers:

Darn! So how much do they cost? I'm pretty sure I can get the stator rewound for about $130. I just want to run bigger lights, but my kickstart spline is stripped so I already have an excuse to split the cases.

I drilled and tapped the foot peg holes in my old xr75 to a 3/8-16 thread and they have held up for many years. Use allen head bolts and locktite so you dont overtighten. You dont have to do them all if they are not all stripped.You will have to drill the foot peg bracket holes out bigger too. Worked for me.