Sign in to follow this  

09 KTM 450 EXC QUESTIONS help!!!

just purchased a new ktm wont run for crap without the choke pulled out.. any help there?? also super high geard what is a good sprocket i do alot of tight trail riding i dont need to do a hundred and fricken 12 i also dont wanna have to change the rear sprocket i was thinking a 13? any suggestions would be great thanks!

i run 13/48 gearing it made a ton of difference and the stock chain fit perfect. the choke thig i cant answer. did you buy it new at a dealer??? they will fix that, how long are you leaving the choke on?? are you sure its warmed up?? jetting is always an issue on newer street legal bikes, they are waaaayyyy lean for smog reasons, pulling the choke may be adding the fuel the bike wants

i was trying not to change the rear sprocket.

and i did buy it brand new from the dealer there 3 hours away though so i was tryin to see if anyone new if it was a quick fix or what was goin on i bought the jet kit for it havent put it on yet.

and what do you think about de-smoging it?

you have to desmog it for sure, take out the internal restrictor in the exhaust and run without the screw in cap on the tip of the muffler. does it run with the coke off if the rpms are up??

The 09 450 EXC is a geat bike... after you de-smog, jet kit, and regear it. I've tried several gearing changes, but went ahead and got a new chain so that I could gear it for my likes. For Dual Sport 50-50 I run a 14/50 combo, for tight single track 13/50. You won't believe the difference these changes will make to your bike!

I bought an '09 450 EXC in September and have done the following:

installed FMF pipe that came with the ready-to-race kit

installed JD jet kit, including the accelerator pump O-ring that comes in the kit

removed smog canister and hoses

The bike ran OK before the changes but it runs fabulously now. Interestingly, the stock pilot was pretty clogged up -- don't know if that happened at the factory or the dealer. You might check yours if you are not planning to rejet.

I haven't changed the stock gearing as it is set up right now for supermoto.

Oh, I should also mention that the position of the FMF outlet caused the right rear turn signal to melt. Got a UFO tailpeice to replace the stock assembly and no further problems.

thanks for all the help ive talked to the dealer and thankfully there gunna take care of it and get in runnin good

also mike question i did buy a jd jet kit for it what jet would you suggest putting in it i ride anywhere from sea level to 5000 feet i was thinking a 172?

also mike question i did buy a jd jet kit for it what jet would you suggest putting in it i ride anywhere from sea level to 5000 feet i was thinking a 172?

I ride in that same altitude range -- I would just put in the jets that are recommended in the kit. I had the local shop do the jetting (the mechanic there is the best I've ever had work on my bikes) so I don't recall off-hand what size MJ he put in. Unfortunately, I'm out of town for the next 10 days, but I can check when I get back.

You could also search this forum or the TT jetting forum and you might find some suggestions.

thanks i ended up goin with a 172

also do you know how to desmog it?

Where abouts are you in California?

No kidding, my wife and I visited Sonora this past September. She has cousin there whom she hadn't seen in many years. Beautiful area -- I had never been there before. We may go back next year -- I would like to try the Half Dome hike in Yosemite.

We had the mechanic who did the rejetting also do the smogectomy. I think it's pretty stright forward. You could do a search on KTM Talk -- if I remember, there's a good description there along with some photos.

Maybe one issue of concern, though, is that California rangers are being trained to look for the smog stuff. At least I have read that in some threads on KTM Talk. So maybe see how the bike runs with just the rejetting -- it might be fine and you can leave the smog stuff on.

thanks i ended up goin with a 172

also do you know how to desmog it?

Blais racing has a pretty trick kit for Desmoging it. ...there are tons of threads on KTM talk with good pictures etc too!

Blais racing also has a good jetting kit.

Both the JD kit and Blais kit work great! I like the JD kit since it runs a smaller main jet and I seem to get better fuel milage with it.

I'm running the Red Needle, 5th clip from the top, 42 pilot, 175 main and Fuel Screw at 1.5

I usually ride at 5000ft, but occasionally go to Sea Level and I don't want to re-jet all the time, so I left the 175 main in. Although I bet it would run slightly better up here at 5000ft with the 172 main!

So anyhow, if you can't get to a JD or Blais kit, I recommend going up from the stock 40 pilot and 180 main to a 42 pilot and 185 main. That should help until you can get the full kit. A lot of other guys are doing a 45 pilot and 185 main and the next richer Needle (next letter richer) from stock and love that setting too.

http://2008ktmexc450.blogspot.com/2008/01/smog-removal.html

Edited by NewMexican
Add smogerectomy link...

I installed the JD kit on mine and removed the exhaust restriction, but I didn't remove any of the smog stuff. The thing runs great and always has. Personally, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to take all the smog stuff off unless you really determine there's a need for it.

hey there... just picked up a mint 09 450 EXC with 522 miles on it... guy rode it from his vacation house to town for a few summers. I roughed it up more in one ride than he did the entire time he owned it. Thanks buddy!

Question: I'm desmogging it, the link

http://2008ktmexc450...og-removal.html is great for an 08, but in Step 11 it shows a "mid-valve" that the hoses contact to, between the carb and canister. On the 09 the hoses go directly from the canister to the carb, don't have the "valve" and likely have brass fittings that would have to be sealed if I pull the hoses. A buddy of mine suggested to just pulling the canister and leaving all the hoses dangling as drains off of the carb, so as not to have to seal off other brass fittings (other than the main desmogger brass fitting that must be pulled and sealed Step 10).

Also - looking to convert the bike between SuperMoto and Dirt... any suggestions on a kit? Looking to buy rims/tires that can just be swapped and hopefully use brakes, suspension, etc... for both types of riding.

Thanks!

Definitely desmog, uncork and jet according to where you ride...for starters.

I uncorked it, super easy. I had a shop desmog & jet....shoulda done it myself to learn.

I went with 14/52, I wanted engine braking and tractor crawl. I have zero interest in speed and only on the pavement to get gas/food/lost-have to. It'll still do 75 wtfo on the street. I might buy a 13 just to see what it does.

I have the 08 manual if anyone is interested I think its the same for 09.