Sign in to follow this  

Skid plate foam.....Way heavy

I just popped out my foam from my works skidplate/glide plate, it was installed when I bought the bike. Took the plate off and the foam stayed up in between the frame rails, so I pulled it out and it felt like at least 2 pounds of cold cuts from a deli. I could not believe it. I cleaned it with tons of water after rides but I guess it builds up over time.

I drilled the plate with 1 inch holes and brushed the aluminum, it looks great and I will be able to clean the mud out Way better. I still have engine protection and I'll get some cooling now as well. I'm posting because it was crazy how heavy it was and made it hard to clean out. Ride on

Agreed! Unless you stay on top of that stuff and thoroughly clean it after every ride when it's still wet, it'll harm more than it'll help!

Edited by Ed2006CRF450R

I removed mine because of the same problem. I just make sure I clean out under the engine really well after every ride. Its such a pain to remove my skip plate! I can hear more engine noise with out it though.

Good info. I got my motor out right now, but I haven't removed the foam yet. I'll probably drill mine out too.

I removed the foam from my skid plate also and did not like the amplified sound. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a can of rubberized undercoat for $6 and sprayed the inside of the skid plate and it works great.

I run my skidplate without foam. I ride MX only and as a Vet guy have the option to stay out of the very wet days and thus that I find no reason to keep the foam.

There has been a lot of debate on the usefulness of the foam. It does slightly reduce noise. But I have never heard skid plate noise anywhere close to the Db from a ProCircuit pipe. Mud filled foam can't help with engine cooling. I dumped mine after one ride.

Interesting, I forgot about the harmonics coming from the plate, have to see how bad it is. I did keep up on the cleaning but it's in a bag now and it feels like my kids diaper in a bag. Never knew you had to run it at AMA events I know alot of guys running at events and they do not have the foam. Hope the ease of cleaning and extra cooling outweighs all. I am running a X muffler and I am at 88 DB with more smoother low end, loud pipes kill the sport. thanks for the input........:moon:

I threw mine away too. It was soaked with oil, mud and crud. What's the purpose of that thing anyway? To reduce sound?

The foam does keep rocks from being trapped in the void between the cases and the skid plate. Bouncing rocks can beat the heck out of your cases if left unattended. The foam also keeps mud from filling up the open area and weighing down the bike. Consequently, the foam will get heavy as well if left unattended.:moon: