Cranking 06 kx450f

Ok my bike used to crank 2nd or 3rd kick everytime and now sometimes have to kick a million times. I adjusted the valves and riched up the carb for the cold weather and it does great the first couple times I have to kick it. but once I ride and get a lil hot it gives me a fit. some people say to just give it short half kicks. others say get it tdc and then one good hard kick. Has anyone body found a sure fire way to help it crank easier in all conditions all the time? Thanks guys!

Sounds like you've jetted it way too rich. Adjust the carb so it runs right. No jetting guesses required for starting.

Always find TDC and do a firm long kick. Some guys here could give advice for super cold starting. I mean beyond choke. I've heard people talk about one throttle pump for real cold air. That makes sense to me.

sounds to me that you may have closed the valve clearance gap up too much and as the bike gets hot the cam and valve clearance gets smaller until the cam doesnt allow the valve to close correctly. how cold does it get there? Back to the oringinal problem- i have seen the wax in fuel soilidifiy slightly making it hard to start. also smaller water particles in the fuel can also freeze. try draining the fuel from your carby after your ride or before you start it, then turn your fuel tap back on and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the info guys. The carb and valves were adjusted by a prof mechanic that I know. and it was the 1st adjustment only one shim size down on the exhaust right side. the others were perfect still. carb is right. sometimes I dont get it in neutral cause it has the rekluse and is hard to tell. I will try the carb drain thing and then go from there.

Once warmed up if it lacks lots of power, feels rough, coughs or splutters, then it is jetted too rich. Doesn't matter who tuned it. So you decide. In the owner's manual you can see the jetting adjustment table for air temps.

The manual is a good guide, then fine tune it by feel for each throttle position, at mid revs, under load in third gear.

dumb question, but how does the hot start work exactly? I have one on my 06 and have no idea the when to use it and how it works.

The hot start is just the exact opposite of the choke. When you pull the hot start lever it allows extra air into the cylinder to help start the engine when hot.