Sign in to follow this  

Optional 15 inch rear rim on a KX85?

I posted this in the Kawasaki Two-stroke forum, but got nowhere... maybe somebody here knows something.

Anyone ever run the 15 inch rear rim that Kaw offers as an option on the KX85? Pics of the bike with this setup? What tires to run, and do you have any issues finding tires? --L*64

Didn't know the KX85 had a 15" rear option, I know the normal bike is 17"/14" and the big wheel option is 19"/16" (kx100 setup). You need a longer swingarm for the big wheel option.

Yeah... they have a 15 inch rear option for the 85. They don't make the bigger 16/19 85 anymore. You don't need the longer swinger and linkage to run the 15 inch rear rim as the 15 inch tires have less sidewall. (The OD of the entire 15 inch setup is almost the same as with the 14) I'm just trying to see how the bike sits with this option, and if the rear tire selections are limited. I think the Team Green bikes run the 15's on them, and use KX100 frames on the 85's to add some stability with some (about 20mm) extended wheel base.

The reason I'm asking has nothing to do with the KX85-- even though I do have a 14/17 inch KX100 pit bike. I'm asking because I'm doing a CRF150F project, and I was planning on running small (14 or 15/17inch) wheels on it. It comes with 16/19 stock. I don't think I can get a 14 inch rim laced to the 150F rear hub, due to the configuration of the spokes. I'm sure I can get a 15 laced up though. I just don't want to be screwed on tire choices, and I want to see how the KX sits with this wheel and tire configuration. I may be the only one who knows that Kaw offers this though. --L*64