Sign in to follow this  

Bad news for me!

I just completed a cylinder leak down test on my sons '04 crf250r. The air was leaking past the intake and exhaust valves. The gauge said 60% lose of air!

So, I'm looking for a new complete cylinder head or rebuild old one.

The sad thing is I just bought this bike 3 months ago!

Please advise me on the correct direction to go...new head or rebuild old one.

Valve spring compressor....is there a less expensive version or another way to take down and install valves in the crf head?

Valve spring compressor....is there a less expensive version or another way to take down and install valves in the crf head?

1/2" copper pipe with a hole cut in it to extract retainers thru, pm me your email and I can send you a pic of it!

I've rebuilt a few heads with nothing more then a 10mm socket driver, pick set, 12-13mm short socket and alot of swearing!!

I recommend getting the tool, it's money well spent!

I've rebuilt a few heads with nothing more then a 10mm socket driver, pick set, 12-13mm short socket and alot of swearing!!

I recommend getting the tool, it's money well spent!

Seriously PM me with your email and I can send the pic of my tool. It takes about 5sec's per valve. No reason to spend that much on the spring compressor tool others sell.

I use a cut out socket in a small drill press, works like a charm. Cut the seats, new valves, springs.

I use a cut out socket in a small drill press, works like a charm. Cut the seats, new valves, springs.

The copper pipe cut out is basically the same thing, I just put on a thick glove and give it a push down, stick mech mag in cut out once pressure is off to pull the retainers out.

Works like a champ

Removing the valves from the head is easy, any of the above methods will work fine. Have whomever is going to cut the valve seats assemble it.

set the head on a flat surface. youll need a (i use deep well) socket 1/2in drive and a pocket flat tip with the magnet on the end. put the magnet through the hole for the rachet push down on the spring wiggle around and boom you got your keepers out. spring pressure is nothing like a car motor. having a stripped head will save you some money at the machine shop.

set the head on a flat surface. youll need a (i use deep well) socket 1/2in drive and a pocket flat tip with the magnet on the end. put the magnet through the hole for the rachet push down on the spring wiggle around and boom you got your keepers out. spring pressure is nothing like a car motor. having a stripped head will save you some money at the machine shop.

I did this exactly works great!!!!!!!

A huge thank you to all who gave advice...my son and I put the bike together last night ...new head and valve train, rebuilt carb with all new brass and properly installed slide...now on to the sandbox to break-in!

BRAAAAP