Sign in to follow this  

yz80 engine problem

okay so my buddy has a 80 to get rid off.However its not working.The bike is in great condition its an 01.new tires n plastics n seat n rims n brakes n stuff,but the engine is gone.It has no compression and doesnt want to start.

He used to use a very very poor mix i think of 80:1.The engine imm sure is prob overheated n damaged.there was no compresssion so he changed rings,however it still doesnt run.compression is still bad.

SO i was wonderin is it wise to take the bike for a small price and fix it.Can this be fixed?the bike was perfect before he bought it and ran it on the 80:1 ratio.What kinda stuff am i looking to be doing on this?i would really like a small bike to goof around on but i not willing to spend alot on it.Any help would be appreciated

Here in Canadaland it's 1000$ to do a full top and bottom end rebuild. It includes all the bearings seals gaskets and labor, but NO PARTS.

If your going to buy that bike, it's going to be a project and you should treat it as such by assuming the worst case scenario.

You can't tell by looking at it if there are any transmission/clutch issues especially when the engine will not run. Obviously there is no compression, and he replaced the rings so 'if' he did it right then the cylinder is probably scored.

Some people just don't know what they're doing, for all we know he might have got the wrong sized rings, didn't set the gap properly, or didn't inspect the piston for a chip or crack on the side.. who knows is the point i'm trying to make.

So worst case scenario over 1000$ for an engine rebuild, 1000$ being the minimum.

Best case scenario is a new piston/rings and a re-bored/plated cylinder which runs almost a 1000$ here in Canada.

If the price is good like a few hundred bucks then I say you can't go wrong, you could always use it for parts, or wait around for a while until you see an engine that you can throw in there that works.

For a few hundred I'd buy it for sure and have a great time tearing down the engine finding out what exactly it needs.

Well before i buy it from him im getting to take apart the bike as much as i want ( he also wants to have the bike up and running).I have some experience changing rings and gaskets on my 125 but thas as far as my skill goes. What i was wondering is that -say worst case scenario he ran pump gas alone ie no oil and the engine was to be overheated.What potential damages am i looking at.I knw the rings and piston for sure, ill have to check the inside of the cylinder for damages too.maybe the connecting rods pistons too. everywhere that is lubed by the gas mix basically would have to be checked out.But would the transmission and gears also be damaged from this? As i had mentioned before the bike was in great working condition before he bought it.So i was thinking it maybe only the top end needs work.If you can let me knw all the stuff i can look out for during the dismantle that would hint to lotsa $$

thanks again

Bearings for sure, sometimes when the parts get to hot they score each other up pretty good, like the connecting rod and the crank, the parts may have to be replaced which is big money.

If the parts are out of spec, they need to be replaced, simple as that. When an engine is overheated almost all of the internal parts related to combustion and power delivery become out of spec...

Just my two cents, others will chime in with more advice.

What kind of a price are we talking about here?

well im gettin the bike for 200us. i wasnt gonna spend more than 400us on it.I have been lookin tru ebay and i saw that i can get a cylinder head there for cheap.and depending on how bad te engine is i can look for a whole new engine but thats about 700 i saw one for.Il dismantle everything saturday and see whats going on.There arent many bike mechanics in my area so ill have to do most of it myself.Well the bike sure looks tempting to take but i dont want to commit to something that will take all of my $$ .lol

here it is good condition for an 01 body wise

Snapshot_20091129_7.jpg

I think for a couple hundred dollars, engine working or not, you can't go wrong.