set up too heavy!

so i have a 2009 kx250f and it it sprung and valved by pro circuit, but i got a problem, when i bought it they said it was done for a 175lb rider. the rear spring is a 4.6 (wich according to mx-tech is for 110lb rider) so what gives? i talked to 2 people and they said that it must have been VALVED for 175 lbs, i thought valving was valving and when they set it up for weight they did it with springs. so im gonna be keeping the 4.6 and what can i do to make the spench ride smoother? without spending much cash

Take it to Pro Circut , they should re- set it up for you specifically and i believe they will do it for free (i am assuming you bought the bike with it set the way it is) , they should do it for free(i am talking minus parts cost) , since it is their suspension set-up

Just tell them you bought the bike and it feels to stiff and you weigh what the specs call for and would like it re-done , as it was most likely set for a A or Pro rider , and that is why it is too stiff for you (not dogging your ability) but most Pro riders bikes are too stiff for the average or even above average rider's liking !

If that doesn't work , ask for some softer Pressure Springs , that will soften the initial hit , but still retain the overall stability and bottoming prevention , and keep the ability to hit whoops hard and fast , and Pressure Springs are only about $60 for the pair

OH ! you didn't say you were 140 , in that case you will need new springs(the main springs in the tubes) , and as long as the springs are the proper ones for your weight , it does not matter what brand , just the proper spring rate .You can go up or down one size depending on how soft or hard you want it , this also depends on how agressive you ride

I think they sell springs here if i remember right , if not any bike shop can get them for you , and you can install them yourself , its fairly easy , you dont even have to remove your forks to install them ! , just the top cap(the hexed cap above your triple trees) , just unscrew it , and compress your forks (have the bike on your stand, and remove your bars and lay them down on your tank , you dont have to undo anything from the bars either) , just compress the forks till you can reach the springs (by lifting from the front tire....slowly so you dont blow any oil out), then replace with new and screw the cap back on , you shouldn't loose any oil this way , and will be on your way in no time , you will probably have to re-adjust your clickers , just set them back to stock settings and go from there !

Edit: Also when removing the fork cap assembly , it will have oil in it , look for 2 opposing holes near the bottom of each chamber , tip the assembly so one of the holes is over your fork tube and let the oil drain back into the tube , unless you have someone there to hold the part for you and plug the holes so no oil comes out , as this affects the total amount of oil in your forks and you don't want them to be different from side to side and it will also affect bottoming out if the oil is removed from the fork !! (has the same effect as lighter springs , but if too much oil is lost it will affect handling , especally if one leg has more or less than the other)

ive done spring swaps, but the back shock (i took it appart last night) is a 4.6 and i cant seem to find anything lighter. the mx-tech spring calculator calls for a 5.0 so a guy hereon tt sent me a 4.8 for free so i basically wasted his time since its a stiffer spring and i need softer, so this now leads me to think the VALVING is set up stiff. i was thinking i would just use less fork oil to make it a little softer and was hoping somebody here on tt could put me in the right direction of how to make it softer by changing the shim stack. i had set up the sag but it was really no better than my 05 suspension (wich was crap)

the valving doesnt change too much for rider weight(within reason which you are) more for speed(agressive riders and novices need different shim stacks)

at 140lb you could use the 4.6 rear and i think it will have good sag numbers(you need to check your sag numbers as no bike works with sag settings outside a reasonable range)

I am 165lb and i use a 5.0 rear on most 250f.I could use a 4.8 and still get good sag numbers.

i pulled it appart about an hour ago and i noticed theirs pro circuit spring tubes in the forks also, its anodized red if you know what color the sx spring tubes are of the mx spring tubes. i didnt figure out the trick on how to pop out the springs to check the spring rate on them. but when i was using my own weight on them to compress them just my strength in one arm pushed it more than half way down, so now i think its so plush that its too plush and its blasting clear through the top stroke and hitting the harsh bottom stroke and thats the harshness im feeling. so im gonna stiffen it up on the compression and see what happens