Sign in to follow this  

so confused in tire size.

120 is the section width, the 80 is a percentage of the section width used to measure sidewall height (120mm wide and 80% of 120mm so 96 or so mm height) tire manufacturers vary slightly in their measuring methods but you get the jist.

Yes it will fit, it will just be ever so slightly shorter.:moon:

I run a 120/100 on mine.

Bike tires, and car tires are the same & are broken down like this:

120 = 120mm wide tread area / 90 = 90% as tall as it is wide / 18" = rim size. So the 120/80 tire is 96mm tall and the 120/90 tires is 108mm tall. The height will make the bike handle & respond differently. I can't tell you exactually how & what you would feel but it is different. I am sure someone will add in what the difference you would feel.

My understanding (from street bikes) is that lowering the front (effectively raising the rear) will increase "tip-in" in turns allowing the bike to respond quicker to input. How much quicker? I know not

I think you are confusing something. 1.60, 1.85 and 2.15 are rim widths. H is a tire speed rating. Usually the speed rating also has numbers associated to indicate speed and load. Google Dulop or Pirelli and I'm sure you will find a full explanation