Sign in to follow this  

08 200xcw lost drain plug

After about an hour and a half of riding, my oil drain plug vibrated loose and was lost.

I noticed this louder "not normal" sound from my engine for roughly 2-3 minutes of tight 2nd gear trail riding so i shut it off and discovered the bolt missing. I jumped off the bike and leaned the bike over and saw a steady but thin stream of oil draining out. I am thinking I got lucky seeing oil still draining, but when I do put oil back into it and fire it up for that first second or so I am worried about doing some damage. Would it be wise to fill it up with the 7ml of oil and lay the bike on the ground on the left side and again on the right side to make sure oil is touchign as much engine surface as possible. I will push the kick starter with my hand one stroke on each side just to move all of the motor parts without heat being built up as if to fire it up like normal. Also, I had just changed the oil before this ride, so at tops the oil had an hour an a half of ride time.

Anyone know the dimentions of the drain bolt size and thread?

I do believe Zip Ty racing sells them and it has a stronger magnet, but no, I do not know the demensions other than metric.

Little Jeff

Just put the 700ml of oil in - no need to tip the bike or anything. I'll reckon you'll be fine.

if you want to circulate the oil a little just lean it over and kick a few times with the kill button pressed. For years the question of "was there any damage done" has come up. Most say, "if it was still running and shifting then its OK". I did this myself in 1972 to my new YAM 250mx, DIDNT HURT IT A BIT. So, put oil in there and ride it, dont worry much about it.

The first thing to check on tho is if the case is stripped or if you just forgot to tighten it.

Edited by Mike in Fresno

the oil is only lubing the tranny. as long as you didn't overheat it, put oil in it and run it. your premix lubes the engine.

We have run each of tresa's 250's for more than a full day of hard desert riding with no oil in them, once due to a hole in the bottom of the clutch cover, once due to our mechanic (me) being an idiot. We just filled them back up and both bikes have run several thousand miles since. I advise you to just fill it back up and not worry about it. That's why we ride 2 strokes instead of fragile heavy effeminate loud expensive 4strokes. :moon:

The first thing to check on tho is if the case is stripped or if you just forgot to tighten it.

Good thinking.

Right before I shut it off it was shifting fine, and the clutch was working perfectly. I will take off the clutch cover and the plates to see if there was any damage or scoring. Thanks for the responses. I will let you know of anything i find for your future knowledge. I love learning through experiencing, just when it is cheap!

I would ride a 2 stroke all day with no oil in the tranny and not worry much. If oil has been there before it would take more than a few hours to push it out of all the bushings and what not.

Can't kill a 2 stroke and especially can't kill a KTM. :moon:

Good thinking.

Right before I shut it off it was shifting fine, and the clutch was working perfectly. I will take off the clutch cover and the plates to see if there was any damage or scoring. Thanks for the responses. I will let you know of anything i find for your future knowledge. I love learning through experiencing, just when it is cheap!

Don't bother checking the clutch plates - they'll be almost certainly fine. I believe what Mike in Fresno meant was for you to check the drain hole that the drain bolt goes into just in case the thread has been stripped, unless of course you just hadn't tightened it.

You could possibly do more harm by adding contaminates when checking the plates. I went for many rides with dirt/water instead of tranny juice. Not a big deal. I have a friend who raced in the 70's. He said he would drain the tranny fluid before a race, less tranny drag, more hp to the ground. Dont think I would go that far, but you are fine.