Sign in to follow this  

KTM RFS valve adjustment / no tappet noise

I just did my second valve adjustment and decided to go with the 1/6th turn method because there seemed to be way more variation with what I felt was "good drag" on the feeler gauge. My adjustment with the feeler gauge ended up giving me a lot of tappet noise (clacking) and this time w/ the 1/6th turn there is almost no noise. It does seem to run much better after this adjustment but are they too tight if Im not hearing any/much noise? Thanks

Oh yeh '06 450 exc

Yeh. So much easier. trying to fish the feeler,my hands,a screwdriver and a wrench into such a small space got me really frustrated. especially on the exhaust valves. taking just 1 of those out of the equation made in so much easier. It will encourage me to check them more often.

I'd check them with the feeler also when done. A little tappet noise is normal. You don't want them too tight.

True, however the 1/6 turn method works and there is no need to double check with a feeler gauge. If you don't trust this tried and true method, don't use it. :moon:

I check them BEFORE I adjust them to see if they need to be done. IM confident in the 6th turn and once done no longer check them til next time. This way I can see if they have moved at all and write down the amount in the owners book to keep a running total of movement.

I check them BEFORE I adjust them to see if they need to be done. IM confident in the 6th turn and once done no longer check them til next time. This way I can see if they have moved at all and write down the amount in the owners book to keep a running total of movement.

This is exactly what I do. Check first with feeler gage, and use the 1/6 method if out of adjustment.

Maybe it's just the feeler I have but I cant get the gauge in unless I back the screw out a few turns. Once its in I screw it down and adjust but If I take it out I have to repeat the process. the edge of the feeler must be raised from being punched out from a sheet of metal. It's hard to find quality tools here in Cambodia. Im just going to stick with the 1/6 turn since no one seems to have any problems when using it.

Thanks for the feedback

Fmtnic - I use the 1/6 turn method also but also like to check with the feeler gauges. Have you tried having your feeler gauge cut in half to allow easier access under the tappet? A decent machine shop in Phnom Phen should be able to do this for a few pennies. Motion Pro makes a nifty feeler gauge that is narrower and fits easier under the tappets better than normal gauges bought from the hardware store if you ever get back to the states.

I just got back from a ride through Cambodia and Laos on my 525 a couple days ago and had some great riding (Cardamoms, Stung Tren - Tbeang Meanchey, ETC). Some great riding in that country.

Team FTB.

I hear the road from Pramaoy to Koh Kong is a cake walk these days. Still a lot of fun Im sure. Actually the more use those old logging roads get the more fun they are. Id rather let someone else clear fallen trees and keep me on my bike. Did you ship your bike out or are you living in SEA? Did you have any river crossing issues up north this early in the dry season?

Thanks for the feeler gauge tip. Ill give it a try.

Nick

From Pramaoy it was butter smooth graded dirt road until about 8KM past Osom where it finally turned into single track. The singletrack was all smooth barring a few KM's of rutted hills. However not rutted like it was in the old days with 8 foot deep ruts criss crossing the trail and swallowing bikes, just a single rut up the middle. Easy now but still a nice ride.

No river crossing issues up north in Cambodia, just had to bushwack to get around mudholes in places. It was a lot drier than I expected. One river in Laos I had to get five locals to help me carry the bike across as it was 4 1/2 feet deep.

I live in Chiang mai Thailand most of the year. Are you the gent out of Battambang on the EXC? Not too many EXC's in Cambodia supposedly. If so I met a mate of yours in Kampang Chom at the Mekong Crossing bar that gave me your email but as I was on the 525 for a month I lost it somewhere along the way..

Regarding the feeler gauge I find it works best if I bend the last half inch at a 45 degree angle. This helps it slip under the tappets easier.

I thought you might be the guy Sean was telling me about. Other than my 450 and my buddys 525 I dont know of anyone else riding KTM's in Cambodia so when sean told me he ran into you I took notice. One local guy has a modern husky but everyone else rides honda's.

How is the riding in Chang Mai? Ive never been up there. Good single track trails?