Sign in to follow this  

Cyclops HID info***added a couple night time pics***

Here is how you fit all the HID crap on the back of an Acerbis Cyclops. It ain't pretty but it fits

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=82177

Fyi to get the HID bulb to fit in the projector and give the correct spread pattern I had to grind out 1/4 of an inch off the front of the socket and install the bulb at an angle. I also grafted the stock 400e headlight socket onto the long beam lamp so it would have the more secure metal spring clip holder

Edited by HIX

Good job HIX, but I think I'll just buy an HID setup from the start!

LOL this cost me 50bux....

here is the broad daylight cant see a thing shot

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=82183

Low beam

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=82185

High Beam

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=82186

Truck low beam ( a bit skewed since the bike is in front)

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=82187

I honestly don't know why everybody with a stock 400s/sm headlight doesn't just toss the stock bulb and install a DDMtuning ( or preferred brand) kit. This one was a pain in the ass since it was on the cyclops and my bike is a 400e. On a stock bike it would be so easy and the difference is amazing. And I "only" got the 35w kit not the 55w kit. And the price...less than 50 bux.

Which one is it?

Maybe a stupid question but wont it melt the headlight? I read somewhere that if its too hot it'll melt the plastic.. and the cyclops doesnt look like glass.. I just bought a headlight kind of same style as the cyclops and was worried it wouldnt light well.. If it doesnt then i'll think of an HID.

I got the 35w version so it runs 20% cooler than the 55w. The cyclops long beam and projector lamp lense and housing are glass and metal. Only the fairing is plastic

Good info, I've been trying to figure out a way to do this cuz I don't feel like spending $250 for someone else's kit.

I honestly don't know why everybody with a stock 400s/sm headlight doesn't just toss the stock bulb and install a DDMtuning ( or preferred brand) kit.

This is exactly why.

image0082xm.jpg

The truck, probably higher than most cars to start with, but legal.

image0062k.jpg

And now your just blinding the shit out of everyone else on the road, very not legal and plan irritating to everyone you drive near.

(And if the bike was closer to the garage than the truck, than it is probably even worse that it looks above.)

In conclusion: I, and many others, hate shitty un-auto leveling, un-focused, un-professionally installed cheap HID kits blinding the hell out of me when I'm trying to drive.

You are actually incorrect due to the shape of the low beam lens. If it was the long beam that was the low beam then yes it would be blinding. The low beam diffuses the light to 180 degrees to the sides and down from the apex of the lens. To get the "blinding arc" view into the low beam you have to actually sit on the ground @ 25 ft. Look at the difference between the intensity of the two beams. Notice how the low beam gives a nice soft ultra wide beam? Now see how high beam in the standard halogen relflector lamp looks like it is about to burn a hole in my garage door and completely overwhelms the low beam? Both lamps are 35w. Perfectly legal and checked out by the State Patrol trooper who lives next door. But thanks for the well informed rant on a setup you obviously have no actual hands on experience with.

I went for a 90 mile ride this evening up lookout mountain road, over to idaho springs, then to nederland, then to boulder and back to my house. Not once did I get flashed

Edited by HIX

LOL how about some pics that show how well they work in the snow?

Low Beam

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=82362

Come to Jesus beam

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=82363

Might be time to break out the drill and sheet metal screws

Edited by HIX