09 WR450F Build, AIS, Exhaust, Speedo Swap, Weight Reduction

Thought I would do this complete build on here in hopes it may answer some fo the stuff a lot of guys want to do with a WR. This is my first WR or XC style bike. I have always ran R (race) bikes. I wanted this bike to be as close as possible to the feel of an R but also be dual sportable. Only reason I bought the WR or I would have gotten an R.

I am hoping to loose 12 to 17 pounds with this build.

I want to make this bike a full trail/race bike. In trail and race form I will be running it minus all the lights, blinkers, kick stand and stuff that makes it a dual sport. Only when I actually do dual sport rides, will I install every thing back on. The idea is to make the swap quick and easy so that is what I will be keeping in mind as I redesign some stuff.

I will be relocating some stuff. Computer, speedo cable, speedo cable drive flange and lower fork protector will be repaced by better, lighter, more option, cleaner installed Trail Tech Vapor unit, 06 to 07 YZF right lower fork leg protector and Flatland Billet Flange for the void in the stock speedo flange drive. I will relocate on/off switch. I will also be relocating transmision breather and radiator over flow hose. Possibly changing my over flow bottle in the rear into extra storage for gas.

I will take pics and try to give good details on some of the things I think people would be interested in doing. I found that not alot of info is readily available out there for the WR when it comes to swapping some things out. I come from Honda's and there is more info then you will ever want on a Honda. Does not seem to be the same on the WR's.

Parts List:

2009 Yamaha WR450F

MB1 Suspension resprung and set up for Enduro/Cross Country

Dr.D Full Exhaust SS/Alum

Galfer Over Size 270 Front Brake

Galfer Front and Rear Brake Steal Braided Lines

ProTaper Bars - Evo - Factory Suz, Kaw, KTM Bend

GPR Triple Clamps (1 off 22mm offset upper and lowers)

GPR v4 StablizerCycra Vented Front Fender

Nutech Tubeliss Tires Front and Rear

Ebatt

Cycra Vented Number Plate

Cycra Probend CRM's

AIS Kit

Driven Rear Sproket

Trail Tech Computer

Flatland Racing (speedo spacer)

Ride Engineering Axle Blocks

Ride Engineering Rear Brake Cover

Ride Engineering Banjo Bolts

Ride Engineering Timing Plugs

Ride Engineering Front Brake Pintch Clamp

Ride Engineering Rear Brake Clevis

Ride Engineering Front Brake Cover

R&D Racing Fuel Flex fuel screw

R&D Racing Power Pump 2 w leak jet adjustment

Sunline v1 MDX Clutch and Hotstart

Sunline v1 MDX Front Brake Lever

Boysen Hi-Flow Water Pump

EK Chains 520 SRX (x-ring and best chain on the market)

Lightspeed 1 piece Skid Plate

Lightspeed Rear Disc Cover

Lightspeed Rear Caliper Guard

ASI Red Radiator Hoses

Stomp Seat Gripper Cover

Stomp Grip Pad on Shrouds, Airbox, Rear Plates

Renthal Grips Dual Compounds

Dual Sport Stuff:

Royco Dual Sport Kit

Zeta Bark Buster Shields with Smoke LED Blinkers build in

IMG00024.jpg

Bought new 2 weeks ago. Then sent out suspension to Mike at MB1 and started ordering my parts.

IMG00030.jpg

Never even start the slug as I didn't want to be disappointed! Rolled it in my garage and this is what it looked like 30 mins later.

Write up and pics to follow. I will get a bunch of it built over this weekend.

Edited by RidenRed
  • Like 2

Funny, looks just like my bike 30 minutes after I got it in the garage.

I used Factory Connection for the suspension as Dirt Rider raved about the final product. Jury is still out for me. I've got MB1 stuff on the 08 YZ450F SM set-up and absolutely love it.

You mention 06-07 YZ450F lower fork protector. Does that bolt right onto the 09 WR450f? I've been looking for a solution to the RH side fork protector. Please advise.

Thanks, John

Funny, looks just like my bike 30 minutes after I got it in the garage.

I used Factory Connection for the suspension as Dirt Rider raved about the final product. Jury is still out for me. I've got MB1 stuff on the 08 YZ450F SM set-up and absolutely love it.

You mention 06-07 YZ450F lower fork protector. Does that bolt right onto the 09 WR450f? I've been looking for a solution to the RH side fork protector. Please advise.

Thanks, John

FC does insane work. But then so does MB1 as it sounds like you already know. See below for pics on YZF fork leg bolting up. No problem.

Edited by RidenRed

Well about 8 hours of wrenching on Saturday got me to where I am now. Unfortunately, R&D Power Pump 2 is on back order for a couple weeks as is my Ebatt and Neutech Tubliss set up. The 2 major weight losers. I will get pics and write up on that when they come in. I did get in my Royco full dual sport setup in but I will not be wiring that up for a while as it is not a priority to me right. Getting this bike done and riding it (seeing as I have not even started the bike yet) is!

P1000649.jpg

If any of you were wondering if the factory puts enough (or any) lube on bearing during assemblemly, this is your answer. LUBE YOUR SHIT

P1000648.jpg

Another

P1000656.jpg

Swapping out the stock Triples for GPR 22mm offset Triples

P1000658-1.jpg

Swap

P1000659.jpg

What your bearings should look like.

P1000660.jpg

Overkill is always my modo, bottom steer tube

P1000661.jpg

Top Steer tube

P1000652.jpg

I already did my linkage before taking pics so I have none to show. But it was as dry as the steer tubef so I sugguest you lube also.

How to get rid of your Speedo and Speedo Drive to not only loose a bunch of weight but to get rid of your speedo cable sticking 5 feet off the side of your bike.

First buy one of these, Flatland Racing Billet spacer to swap out your stock cable drive down at the hub. Especically on the 08 and Up bikes as the cable drive does not unscrew like previous years.

P1000676.jpg

Speedo drive next to replacement Flatland Racing unit.

P1000677.jpg

You need to use a screw driver and pop out the grease seal from the stock speedo drive and install into the new unit

P1000678.jpg

Installed into the new unit

P1000679.jpg

This is why you need this unit. When you pull off the stock speedo drive your bearing is open

P1000680.jpg

Again, lube the shit out of it.

P1000682.jpg

Clean fit and look

P1000683.jpg

On the bike

P1000685.jpg

Then all you need to do is buy a stock 06 to 07 YZF450 right lower fork leg and it will bolt right up

P1000691-1.jpg

Edited by RidenRed

The rest of what Galfer hooked me up with. Front and Rear braided brake lines and pads

P1000687.jpg

Drain front resivor first, undo bottom banjo bolt at bottom caliper, undo upper banjo bolt, remove stock brake line, reinstall new braided line and install these cool Ride Engineer Red anodized banjos

P1000690.jpg

P1000689.jpg

Rear Line Installed in same manner

P1000694.jpg

P1000693.jpg

Pics also include Ride Engineer Brake Clevis and Extended Resivor and Lightspeed Carbon Fiber Rear Disc and Caliper

Make things easy when you bleed brakes. Get one of these Magura bleeders when for bleeding lines. Push the fluid from the bottom up which forces all the air bubbles out.

P1000688.jpg

Oh, and ProTaper Evo Factory KTM, Suz bend. Straighter and taller than stock.

P1000665.jpg

Moving onto suspension

P1000698.jpg

P1000697.jpg

P1000671.jpg

Boysen Hi Flow Water Pump

P1000655.jpg

Ek SRX X-Ring Chain. Bomb proof

P1000695.jpg

P1000697.jpg

ASI Radiator Hose Kit (cheap on ebay $42 dollars delivered for most bikes)

P1000699.jpg

Installed, had to trim a little bit off a couple hoses as these were for a YZF

P1000703.jpg

DR.D full exhaust

P1000700.jpg

Head Pipe installed

P1000704.jpg

Edited by RidenRed