Sign in to follow this  

anyone know how i could put an 18 inch rear wheel on my 86 xr600r

i have an 86 xr600r and i was wondering if there was any 18 inch wheels that would fit it and would i have to make modifications to the swingarm or could i use a 88 or newer swing arm?

I am putting a 18" KX500 rear wheel and disc on my 86 XR600 with a fair amount of work involved. I had a 2.5 by 18 rim on my 86 hub with Buchanan stainless spokes already done. If you want, I would sell my 86 wheel with 18 " rim to you for $90. the rim is not a new rim but staight. I live in Burlinton Ontario Canada, Come and pick it up !!!! I'll give you a good set of 86 forks for free.

im deffinatly interested but if i could use the 18 inch wheel i already have it would be ideal cause i have like 4 or 5 different year and size xr wheels from the 80s that all have drum brakes and are 18 inch

Call Buchanan, tell the nice staff member that answers the phone what you want to do and your goldin.

I built a sumo wheel using a XR650L hub and XR400M rim for my XR650R and they were very helpful at Buchanan.

Not quite sure what your question is really. As far as I'm aware 86's come with an 18inch wheel standard. XL600's have a 17inch wheel. Any early model XR250 wheel (around 86) should fit...they are all drum brake around that era..Pretty sure thats whats on my 86 as it certainly isn't the standard rear wheel on it.

I don't know about differences in the swingarm between the 86-87 XR6 and the 88-90 XR6 that had the drum brake but I have looked at the parts fiche online before to see it the rear drum brake is the same part number for the 86-87 as my 88 and it is exactly the same part number, so my guess is that the 88-90 XR600 rear wheel would fit your 86 XR6 with no modifications.

I was looking at one point to get an 86 or 87 XR6 17" rear wheel to make a sumo conversion for my 88 XR6 and then just register my bike in Utah for the property I own there even though I live in California and would ride it in Cali mostly. I never did it though so I can't say it would work 100%.

thanks for the help i think what im gonna do is just have a paddle tire special made for my 17 cause thats the problem is they dont make a 17 inch paddle you have to send a casing in and pay them to shave it and put paddles on

As far as I'm aware 86's come with an 18inch wheel standard. XL600's have a 17inch wheel. Any early model XR250 wheel (around 86) should fit...they are all drum brake around that era..Pretty sure thats whats on my 86 as it certainly isn't the standard rear wheel on it.

In the US all 87 and older XL and XRs had 17" stock. There were no 18" on any of them. 86 up 250s have 18" but the hub is too narrow to work. 88-90 600rs are 18" and bolt in.

Ok...Mine must have been converted at some stage..Rear wheel on my 86 is almost certainly not the original,, your right that if it is a 250 wheel then it doesn't quite fit correctly but can be made to work as mine has..

i have an 86 xr600r and i was wondering if there was any 18 inch wheels that would fit it and would i have to make modifications to the swingarm or could i use a 88 or newer swing arm?[/quoteThe 88-90 swingarm and wheel is bolt in too.