Sign in to follow this  

Bought my 4yo a 08 PW50, fit training wheels? (pics)

Just bought this 08 model, has done about 16 hrs, and it shows, took off the seat and plastics and its immaculate, barely a scratch on it!

Put a new plug in, changed the fuel, changed gear box oil, cleaned air filter and airbox, just in time for xmas!

Anyway the boy hasn't ridden a bicycle, should i fit training wheels or will they not teach him balance etc?

pw50009.jpg

pw50011.jpg

Ah the smell of a 2 stroke!:moon:

Some Guys say no because they rely on them too much.....but I say if it gets them on the Bike and used to the Throttle it can't hurt.

I have a 4yr old grandson on a pw50 with training wheels, and he has learned throttle control well enough where I took the limiter all the way out...

next step is getting him on a bike without Trainers..

Takes time but the Little Guy loves riding it

I'm one of the guys who says no, cause training wheels teach really bad habits, like turning the bars to turn the bike instead of leaning.

Then, when you get the training wheels off the bike later, your kid gets in a little bind and will then do something like turning the bars which makes a bad thing (perhaps getting too close to a tree) much, much worse, now they're heading towards a tree AND falling over so there is no more control, inertia is not a kind master.

Encourage him to learn to ride a bicycle w/o training wheels and he'll get the motorcycle. You'd be amazed how fast he'll learn when he wants to. My daughter was riding her little Schwinn without the training wheels shortly after her third birthday.

BTW, what I think is an awesome method to teach kids the bicycle fast from Popular Mechanics, near the bottom of the page: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/how_to/4284709.html?page=9 No, I didn't use that method, unfortunately PM published it about seven years too late.

BTW, numbers 67, 70, 71 and 73 are invaluable lessons as well. Even for daughters (#73 is "tie a tie"), your son-in-law's dad probably didn't do such a good job on that lesson.

Edited by Smacaroni

My son has been on the bike for two weeks. He has training wheels and loves to ride it. He's good on throttle control and braking and we've told him he cannot race until he takes of the training wheels. He is very eager to rid them now. It's good motivation I think, instead of just going out to crash until they get it.

Some good tips there, a good point to in the 'popular mechanics' list, saying to take off the pedals on a bicycle to teach balance, i think i might take the pegs off this bike and let him push it around for a bit and get used to the weight an such...Will keep the hours down on the motor to!:moon:

I would use the training wheels until they can ride a pedal bike (my girl rode w/them for a year on a PW 50) I was a bit worried about her keeping bad habits once they were off, but now after riding with out them for a year She is doing great & taking pointers from my Shane Watts videos:thumbsup: & is geady for a bigger bike in the spring. I feel she learned a lot about throttle control & braking with the training wheels on.

Like others, I would put training wheels on. We had a 5 year old boy who knew how the ride his bicycle w/o training wheels and he still needed a little confidence boost when it came to the dirt bike. He had a PW50 too. Once throttle control and brakes were established and he was comfortable on the bike, we took steps to get the training wheels off. The process only took 2-3 months. He now (less then 1 year) races hare scramles on a CRF50 and learning how to shift. Good Luck!! Have camera ready.

maybe spend the next month or so teaching him how to ride a bike then throw him on the pw!!! my son rode his on his 5th b-day for the first time!!!!2056350470063426583S600x600Q85.jpg

in the box!!!

happy boy

2424742870063426583S600x600Q85.jpg

after all the kids left

2818805570063426583S600x600Q85.jpg

if he wrecks on it might ruin the experience and make him hesitant for future rides. good times none the less!!!!