Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain stretching?

My bike is pretty noisy but I have gotten over that, it just is a DRZ I guess. It does make me nervous that I would not hear a loosening cam chain, so occasionally I will back the MCCT out and reset it. Each time I do this (maybe every 750 miles) It seems to need about 1/6th of a turn more than the last time (only done twice since BB). Should I install a new cam chain or just chill out a bit and make sure it is stretching and not me falsely identifying it as stretching?

Thanks,

Jbw

Your over thinking this... If the chain is serviceable, there will be no need to make frequent adjustments ot the MCCT.

If the chain is stretched or otherwise wore out, the MCCT is not a fix.

On an 2003 like yours, it may very well need a new chain,, How long did you use the ACCT? How many times have you added just a bit more tension to the MCCT? How many miles on your motor

Sounds like to fix your problems you need to install a new chain, set the MCCT ONCE,, and go ride the bike for 10,000 miles before you touch the MCCT again.

if you feel the cam chain may be stretching, instead of making an adjustment, pull the valve cover off & have a look at the tension between the cam sprockets. set cams like you were checking valve clearances.

when i had a cam chain that was stretching i would notice the chain sagging between the sprockets.

if you just made an adjustment, pull the valve cover & check the tension now for a baseline.

it is also possible that you are over tightening the mcct, which will lead to premature chain stretching.or depending on how long you ran the acct, your cam chain may just be shot.

The bike had the MCCT when I got it. The PO had already stretched a cam chain with the ACCT and had replaced both the cam chain and ACCT. So the number of miles with MCCT is unknown (bike has 16000). I think I am just messing it up by adjusting and It has only had the two small adjustments. I will leave it alone and If i am worried I will pull the valve cover and check tesion.

My bike is pretty noisy but I have gotten over that, it just is a DRZ I guess.

I'm new the DRZ and have an '03 KLX400. I feel like my engine is on the noisy side, but I've seen quite a few posts that say "The DRZ is known to be a noisy engine. Forget about it and ride!". Is this the consensus?

If I get time this weekend I'll record a mp3 of it and post it just to get some input from the DRZ experts on this great forum.

yes ---- my bike is noisyer than most of the "noisy motor" vids that get posted

I figger the motor will quit running if there is a real issue that needs fixed

I find my self asking if it is getting noisyer so I pull the dip-stick ( yup I got oil ) -- contue riding

yes ---- my bike is noisyer than most of the "noisy motor" vids that get posted

I figger the motor will quit running if there is a real issue that needs fixed

I find my self asking if it is getting noisyer so I pull the dip-stick ( yup I got oil ) -- contue riding

Right on. :moon: That's the approach that I'm taking. Any bike can fail at any given time, so I'm not going to worry about it. I'll just make sure I don't ride too far out in the boonies without companions and a tow strap (the rule regardless). :cheers:

So the cam chain was stretching and I will be replacing it before any more riding. But the question now is if I overtightened or it was just worn out. I really feel that I am adjusting it correctly but to check I made a video. Please let me know what you think, I find that I can hear it well using earphones on a loud setting. The speakers on my computer do not work well to hear the ticking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14k8YMClNu0

hey, i'm new to bikes, but figured i'd throw in my 2 cents: I have bad hearing- carpenter by trade, and I can't hear a damn difference over the sound of the motor. When I installed my mcct, I just went with the directions that say to tighten it down while turning the motor over by hand and then back it off 1/4 turn-- I went about 1/3rd just in case.

If you over tighten the MCCT to make it 'silent' you will cause premature chain wear (which is what the ACCT does). Adjust when the engine is running just until the 'washers in a can' sound just goes away. Do not try to eliminate all the noise.