Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about switching to orange

Love my Yamaha WR but looking for less weight and going back to the 2 stroke. We ride lots of tight trails and hill climbs and mud/ rocks and roots. Not sure if I should go 300XC or 300XCW. What you think.

Fox

I like the plush XC-W and it has plenty of torque to pull the wide ratio transmission. Just my opinion

Love my Yamaha WR but looking for less weight and going back to the 2 stroke. We ride lots of tight trails and hill climbs and mud/ rocks and roots. Not sure if I should go 300XC or 300XCW. What you think.

Fox

which WR do you have, 250 or 450?

The tranny on the XCW is gappy which is nice for open road stuff but from what you're describing I think you'd like the XC more. Yes the suspension on the W is more plush but that can easily be worked out of the XC suspenders.

The first to 2nd gap is a little big for my tastes on the xcw's, but i don't see it as being a problem on the 300. it annoys me on the 250 tho. going to slightly lower gearing makes it so you don't need 1st very often and the problem goes away.

I personally am going to get a 300xcw because i prefer the simplicity of the open-chamber forks since i do all my own work, and because i want the suspension to work in stock form (which it does in 2009 and 2010), and because i like the odometer.

The first to 2nd gap is a little big for my tastes on the xcw's, but i don't see it as being a problem on the 300. it annoys me on the 250 tho. going to slightly lower gearing makes it so you don't need 1st very often and the problem goes away.

I personally am going to get a 300xcw because i prefer the simplicity of the open-chamber forks since i do all my own work, and because i want the suspension to work in stock form (which it does in 2009 and 2010), and because i like the odometer.

Did we just agree on something...oh yes dirtbikes:thumbsup:

Or you can get an XC with XCW forks, it's what I got and it's the perfect solution to this dilema!

XC-W tranny is fine, just go to a 52T rear sprocket and your gold. You don't need to do 90MPH any way..

Did the exact same in the XC-W. Used a 52T on the rear. Put the bike in second and can crawl or launch to get up stuff fast. Love it. Either version of the 300 is damn nice though. You can't go wrong with the bike. If you are coming off the WR450 though the 300 is going to seem damn light in the front end and it takes some getting used to.:moon:

... when the 52T rear is used, what is the ideal CS (13T or 14T)?

Byte

I´m using the 52T in my 250 XC-W but the 53T rear sprocket would be nice also for some "special" situations.

What i like most of the 250 over the 300 is the engine that as a less 500cc 2 stroke feeling and the bike feels ligther and more fun in tigth trails like the enduro events i run.

If a little more power is wanted down low for 150$ you can put the sx head :moon:

Fox

You own a yamaha and want to go to a a ktm?My first question is why would you go down to a bike when you have the best and second you do know that Yamaha still makes a 250 2 smoker?I would rather have my kahonees in a vice and my x on the handle than go orange!!!:moon:

You own a yamaha and want to go to a a ktm?My first question is why would you go down to a bike when you have the best and second you do know that Yamaha still makes a 250 2 smoker?I would rather have my kahonees in a vice and my x on the handle than go orange!!!:smirk:

I went from an 04 wr450f to an 07 ktm 2 stroke.....I dont regret it at all. My KTM does everything better than my wr except high speed fire roads and real open two track...maybe you should ride one that's set up for your weight before knocking them....:moon::ride::cheers:

You own a yamaha and want to go to a a ktm?My first question is why would you go down to a bike when you have the best and second you do know that Yamaha still makes a 250 2 smoker?I would rather have my kahonees in a vice and my x on the handle than go orange!!!:moon:

good for you, quit trolling.

you don't know what you don't know... with your statement you show just how blind and misguided you are. I feel sorry for you.

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DONT KNOW?HUH?I have rode quit a few ktms and they felt all freaking strange,power was good but suspension sucked,they want to stand up in corners and parts are outrageous!WELL GMASS I HAVE BEEN RIDNG SINCE THE AGE OF 9(40 YEARS)AND RODE BIKES YOU NEVER HEARD OF SO FEEL THIS!!!!!Am i not allowed my point of veiw?

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DONT KNOW?HUH?I have rode quit a few ktms and they felt all freaking strange,power was good but suspension sucked,they want to stand up in corners and parts are outrageous!WELL GMASS I HAVE BEEN RIDNG SINCE THE AGE OF 9(40 YEARS)AND RODE BIKES YOU NEVER HEARD OF SO FEEL THIS!!!!!Am i not allowed my point of veiw?

:moon::moon::cheers::moon::smirk:🤣:p:p:moon::smirk::moon:🤣