Sign in to follow this  

350cc Four Stroke

I found this online a few weeks ago..

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/web_exclusive/141_0911_ktm_350_sx_f_with_linkage/index.html

I really hope the 350's take off. I love my 250 but sometimes I feel like I don't quite have enough power. On the other hand the 450's have too much power and tire me out too quick. I think that a 350 will be the perfect bike. Calling all manufacturers lets get the ball rolling on this so I can buy one!!

no other manufactor will make them,ktm have always done strange engines sizes while the big 4 just keep the basics, and i don't think they will change unless they see a huge number of sales on the ktm

also this old news check the ktm forum

They will sell ALOT of these bikes (KTM) and the other companies will have no choice but to follow.

I have 3 friends alone that are going to be getting KTM 350's

These bikes will be infront of 450's in HS.. and who harescrambles with a 450? That majority of the people are on 250's... World enduro riders ride bike CC's.. and this 350 will be the best of the two worlds IMO

The KTM looks sweet but I would like to see a CRF350 and YZ350F. I am not a fan of bikes with steel frames.

I think its chromoly steel,lighter then steel but just as strong.

Chromoly is a high carbon steel. Meaning yes it is stronger and you can design stronger/lighter components with it. It is brazable and weldable commonly used in aircraft and solar cars.

At first, steel is a blend of iron with other elements. The composition of different steel and aluminium can be very complicated, like those NASA-areospatial-secret-alloy...

There is some basic standard classification for steels. The AISI-SAE standard is the most used in the USA. Those are 4 numbers designations, that tell the composition of the alloy. (f.e. the number you see on KH frames: 4130)

There is a serie for each type of steel or alloy:

-10xx, 11xx, 12xx, 15xx = Carbon steels

-13xx = Manganese steels

-etc.

-41xx = Chromium-Molybdenum steels

The most common steels named ''chromoly'' are the 4130 and the 1045. Note - their properties change if a heat treatment is done on the part.

Some mechanical properties:

Tensile Strenght (the point where it breaks):

-low carbon steel, as rolled = 61 000 lb/in2

-1045, as rolled = 90 000 lb/in2

-4130, normalized = 97 000 lb/in2

Composition of the 4130:

-0.28-0.33% Carbon

-0.40-0.60% Manganese

-0.035%max Phosphorus

-0.040%max Sulfure

-0.15-0.35% Silicon

-0.80-1.10% Chromium

-0.15-0.25% Molybdenum

-small quantities of certain elements are also present.

I think any one (or all) of the manufacturers would sell tons of 350 CC bikes set up for enduro or dual sport. My dream would be a street legal EFI Honda 350. The Husky 310 is nice but a little too small for many.

Edited by Dave_Thump
added something

It's not the strength of the chromoly that I am worried about it's the fact that your boots wear off the powder coating that really annoys me. On the aluminum frame bikes it will polish the frame up a bit where your boots rub but you won't have a section with all the powder coating worn off. More of the looks aspect for that

By the look of your nice picture and painting skills.. you should have no problem making it look good if it wears off :moon:

By the look of your nice picture and painting skills.. you should have no problem making it look good if it wears off :moon:

Yeah even those have worn off partially after only 1 season of riding. I had my powder coater put it on super thick too.

After building a 290cc yz250f, ported, cams, ignition. I will have to say the 350's will sell like hot cakes! It's the best power category there is in my opinion!

I am a KTM fanatic! But I'm having a hard time seeing where a 350 will fit.

To big to compete in a 250 class mx.

To small to compete in 450 mx.

Not street legal.

Great for enduro's and trails but that seems like a narrow market. I know KTM finds the nich market but that seems really small being that they already have 250's and 450's.

I believe a while back the AMA was going to knock down the 450 class to 350CC's but the idea has since been ditched. The FIM is running with the 350cc limit so KTM being a Euro mfg is getting a bike together for that change as I suspect other Euro mfg's will do soon. I think if Alessi does well with the bike maybe the Japanese mfg's will take a look at it:excuseme: Out West in the desert I think the top riders will still run the bigger bikes but at the club level KTM 300's card excellent results and have to run with the big bikes. I like the 350cc 4t idea. The KTM 400 has a niche and the 350 with 250 like characteristics too will find a niche.

It would be nice I suppose if the AMA had a specific slot for the 350, but for me the 350 is the perfect size for an all purpose, lightweight bike. As far as I am concerned, my HTR 350 XCF-W is the best all purpose bike currently 'available', and there are two manufacturers that do the conversions. It is much less expensive doing a 350 conversion than it is or will be if you are willing to wait 2 years(?) for a factory 350 XCF-W or EXC. The HTR 350's are very reliable. My 350 is running stronger than ever after 3,300+ trouble-free miles and 154 hrs. :cheers::moon:

It's not the strength of the chromoly that I am worried about it's the fact that your boots wear off the powder coating that really annoys me. On the aluminum frame bikes it will polish the frame up a bit where your boots rub but you won't have a section with all the powder coating worn off. More of the looks aspect for that

So its not the durability of the material of the frame that concerns you but rather the powder coating rubbing off?? Uhh, you do know they are called off road motorcycles right?? Im not trying to be a smart a$$ but Im just amazed at how some people treat there dirt bikes like some kind of exotic car and dont wont to scratch it.

So its not the durability of the material of the frame that concerns you but rather the powder coating rubbing off?? Uhh, you do know they are called off road motorcycles right?? Im not trying to be a smart a$$ but Im just amazed at how some people treat there dirt bikes like some kind of exotic car and dont wont to scratch it.

There are plenty of scratches on my bike trust me but I had a bike before my CRF and it looked like crap near the foot pegs. I just like the aluminum. frames much better. I understand it's a dirt bike but I like it to look nice at the same time.

if your worried about rudding the powder coat off, get a set of frame gaurds, they cost all of what, $50? or you cna make your own in less then an hour by zip tieing some leather snuggly to the frame, i think the production ktm 350 will come since frame gaurds standared, since all of they're bike have for many years.

i personaly think the 350's will take off, when RV was on 250's he was putting down faster lap times then 450 on a few tracks, i think 350's will be faster outright then 450's on most current tracks, also the AMA has been considering dropping the 450 class to 350's for a few years, KTM is simply initiating the move by being the first to produce a 350F.

I am not a fan of bikes with steel frames.
FYI. The 2010 KTM 450SXF with electric start, is lighter than the 2010 YZ450F.

aluminum frame bikes really have no advantage over steel framed bikes, the Japanese manufacturers all went to aluminum because steel cost alot more than aluminum in Japan at the time from what Ive heard. Mid 80's 250CC Honda works bikes with steel frames weighed the same, if not less than todays 450mxers. And if you are worried about powder coating wearing off, what about the ignition/clutch covers on modern bikes, that coating on those things last all of what? like 3 rides before wearing down to bare metal?