Sign in to follow this  

crf70 - $30 Race Cam worth it?

Curious- sometimes an "upgrade" makes you wish you had the stock part back.

I have a 10yr old with an 06 crf 70. Bike smoked real bad-valve adj didn't help. Right now we are gathering parts for our winter project based off of wht I have read searching threads here on Thumpertalk.

This is whatwe have right now in the garage.

Sunstar rear sprocket 39t

Renthal front sprocket 13t

TB 88c bbk (54mm piston)

On dratv.com they have a "race cam" on sale for $30. Seems cheap enough to purchase, but would it be a wise change or should I stick with the stock cam? I know from my camaro days- with cams, bigger is not always better.

Dr. atv says the stock head will be fine. I plan on staying with intake neck. The carb may be changed if needed. And right now we have the stock air fileter, but with a new oiled filter ready to go in.

Open to all advice, experiences and trials and errors thatwill help me avoid mistakes.

Thanks so much everyone! Great board here.

Doug

cam will defintily help it, since the stock cam is EXTREMELY mild

especially with that 88cc big bore!

Most any aftermarket cam would be a noticable improvement especially with a big bore. A pipe and larger carb would also help. :moon:

Ok- so I got the cam.

Lobe Lift - .257" Duration @ .050" - 236 deg.

they included a bag of 6 different main jets for my stock 20mm carb. Besides trial and error- recommended jetting? And should I change the factory air filter set up? Seems to be talked about a lot-- thx for any advice. /dh

I don't know about jets for that particular set up, but i would definitely go with some type of a big aftermarket airfilter! Personaly i'd go with a BIG clamp on K&N. I changed jetting on my STOCK(other than an rm100 stinger lol) 50 and ran it with NO airfilter during the winter and it made a huge difference in throttle response and top end!

Hope this helps some!