Sign in to follow this  

Oversize Gas Tank

Looking for a larger capacity gas tank for 06 DRZ 400 S around 4 gal. I think I like the 1 piece models (includes shrouds) but don't know what brand. Who has experience with these and what do you like?

Most people seem to be happy with the Clark 3.9 but it pushes the seat up in the front too much for my taste. I think I'm going to go with the IMS 3.2. The IMS carries the fuel lower so it doesn't add much height to the seat.

I like the IMS 4.0, because the 3.2 is only about a 1/2 gallon more thann stock. For the money I think the IMS is the best choice. Safari's are nice but pricey!

The larger capacity IMS is a great option. I went with a Clarke. I was getting about 160 miles per tank during my trip down to Deals Gap. Depending on how and where you're riding, your mileage may vary. Either is great.

i have the safari and the IMS

my 17 litre safari is actually 20 litres , they fit perfectly and are a solid product

the 4.0 gal IMS is more streamlined , they bolt to the lower radiator and need to be persuaded to fit !

the safari is the more rigid of the 2 .. the IMS is better for getting your weight over the front wheel just after you back it in .. then you turn in , get the thing to hook up and drive outta there .:moon:

Clarke 3.9, natural color, fits great and being able to see the gas level is nice.

i have the safari and the IMS

my 17 litre safari is actually 20 litres , they fit perfectly and are a solid product . . . .

the safari is the more rigid of the 2 ..

So with this Safari tank you just did a straight switch? No horn or fan removal?

I'm thinking of an Acerbis 4.25 or the Safari for my SM.

I have been very happy with the IMS 4 gal. It carries the weight lower and protects the rads when the bike falls on its side. The first install required a bit of persuasion, but now the tank has relaxed and bolts on very easily.

I have the natural color marked every litre to show fuel remaining.