Sign in to follow this  

Shinko 244T's

So the last time I needed a new rear I was looking for something more dirt-worthy, I ride my DR650 mostly off-road and really don't care how well a tire works on the pavement. At the time, money was tight so looking around I found this Shinko 244T for just $42 shipped... with a few other things added on the order to make the $75 free shipping limit on MCSS.

Been running it for 6 months now, and I swear it's one of the best DOT-legal knobbies I've ever ridden. And long-lasting... it still has 65-70% left after 2.5K miles! The harder compound holds it's edges well and still bites plenty in the soft and slimy stuff. Other than a few knobs torn from spinning it on sharp rocks, it's really the best bang for the buck I've ever experienced.

Granted, the on-road performance isn't the greatest, but for me that's not a big deal. Actually, I've run knobbies on pavement that were a lot more squirrely.

So now getting ready for the TAT next spring I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 244Ts both front and rear. The front is only $24! With both F&R + 2 tubes comes to about $90 bucks (with the free shipping).

But before I buy I'd like to hear what ya'll have to say. Has anyone here ran a Shinko 244T on their DR650 front? What did you think of it?

Edited by Crazed Geezer

I have a 244 on the front and a E700 on the rear. The E700 replaced a 244, the 244`s are bloody great on the gravel roads that I mostly ride, the E700 not so much.

Best bang for the buck that I have found and I have had no problems with them on or off road.

Edited by Spannermad

The 244 rear is a good general purpose tire (IRC GP1/Kenda 270) that steps out easily but smoothly.

I get about 8000km out of a rear.

I didn't like the front though. It worked OK but just didn't inspire confidence in the way an MT21 does (I hate the MT21 rear though).

By "inspire confidence" you mean off-road, right? What type of terrain did the 244 front feel loose in, and where was it good? Was it more a 'feel' thing or did the 244 wash out on you?

It looks like it would do well in the mud... which is where I'll be on the eastern TAT with the late April rains... :moon:

Geezer,

Put a set of 244s on last year 3.00 front 5.10 rear, mid season just before an AMA Dual Sport ride. I like them both pavement and dirt. I did loose the front end all together on hard packed off camber downhill turn, but to much speed and front brake probably did not help. I am not a balls to the wall rider by any means, but the tires performed well in mud ruts and and loose dirt. The day after I rode the AMA Adventure ride, 200 miles of asphalt, gravel and some sand. Worked well on that as well, even the surprise 4 inch sand at 55mph. The 4 hour ride home after the events was marred by a 1hour downpour. Running 65 in the rain was no problem, stable no feel of float front or back. Have not had them on but about 1000 miles or so but they still look nice and square. Holding up better than the stock tires. Will say they are noisier than stock. Will buy another set when needed.

Alan

Thanks Alan, good review and just the kind of info I need. I'm also running the 5.10 rear and like it a lot, planning on putting the 3.00 on the front also.

I dunno why Shinko gets the bad rep, maybe they used to be crap a long time ago, but the tires they put out now are the best bang for the buck out there IMO. The harder compound gives them more mileage and they keep their edges longer. Sure they're not super-hi-performance MX tires, but for the DR650 they work great.

I just hope they don't get greedy and start raising the price...

By "inspire confidence" you mean off-road, right? What type of terrain did the 244 front feel loose in, and where was it good? Was it more a 'feel' thing or did the 244 wash out on you?

It looks like it would do well in the mud... which is where I'll be on the eastern TAT with the late April rains... :moon:

Yep. It didn't feel great in gravel but didn't really do anything wrong on any terrain. The rear drifts easily leaned over off road but is very smooth about it.

I'd go for an MT21 or D606 on the front for the TAT though.

Good road manners and much better off road than the 244.

I ran a Shinko sr244 (rear) on my DR650 because a Kenda k270 was nowhere to be found. I liked the tire both on and off road. I found it very grippy as a dual sport tire. I removed the tire after just 1000 miles since I had two flats. The 4 ply rating was not tough enough for the sharp rocks in my riding area. I tryed a Karoo next, it was a better tire with 6 plys, but it wore out fast in just 3000 milies and it cost double the Shinko or Kenda. I would not buy ether tire again. I've gone back to Kenda k270's as I can get 6000 miles out of this 50/50 tire. Jed