Sign in to follow this  

changing tires at home

hey yall, i've had dirt bikes and atvs my whole life and changed all the tires myself and scratched the rims. now i have a 09 drz 400sm and im gonna install avon distanzas front and rear. i need some tips or tool reccomedations for not tearing the paint of my black rims when changing tires. links or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Search YouTube, there is a really good 3 parter that will make changing tires effortlessly.

I also highly recommend the trick, lightweight, aluminum Motion Pro tire spoons. They will not scratch black anodized rims. I had been carrying these in my trail-side tool pack for some time, and they are now doing double duty in the garage.

For sm tires i have always found them to be a pain due to hardness of the tire. Personally i would take them to any street bike shop and have them use a machine to pop them on.

I have a set of those Motion Pro wheel saver things and have to say that its pretty hard to get the tire iron under the tire with them on.

If you don't have a tire changing stand a round stiff trash can does wonders for your back.. Reduces the effort for sure.. I HATE changing tires put I feel like a chump when I pay to have it done

I would just take the supermoto tires to a shop to have them changed. I just use an old rag between the tire iron and wheel to prevent scratching.

I wrapped the edges of my wheels with electrical tape and had pretty good success. You do still have to be a little careful.

CAMM

thanks folks, with all these ideas if i scratch my rims i'm a dumb a$?. i like the tape idea and the shampoo bottle, basically any thin plastic will definitely help. thanks again and happy holidays

Keep a black magic marker handy if you do scratch it. It will fill in the color enough so you won't notice it while standing next to the bike. But yeah, avoiding scratches in the first place is best.

Best thing to do is scratch the rims up good and proper - like as if the bike has actually been off road - and then it doesn't matter how much you scratch them when tyre changing.